Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering studying medicine abroad, it's not a definite choice but it's an option I'm seriously thinking about. My main concern about studying abroad is the money it involves as I think there's little chance of me being able to pay for it all upfront.
    I'd really appreciate any information anybody has on what the most affordable options are for studying abroad and the availability of loans for studying abroad.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in the same position as you. I really want to study abroad in America but am worrying about the financial support so here is a few options I have looked into:

Become an au pair-you get to earn money while studying. The families are usually rally supportive and hopefully you won't feel homesick. It guarantees accommodation and food for free and the agency I have looked at gives you $1000 dollars toward your education

Sponsorship-Write letters giving your CV to companies, it also helps if you state the amount of money you want-a lot of companies will offer £500 and £1000 sponsorships, don't ignore these because they are worth it!

Charities-Some charities offer grants to thousands of students needing financial support

Scholarships-In sports or academics, although some university's do not give these to international students

I hope this helped and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Americandream)
    Hi, I'm in the same position as you. I really want to study abroad in America but am worrying about the financial support so here is a few options I have looked into:

Become an au pair-you get to earn money while studying. The families are usually rally supportive and hopefully you won't feel homesick. It guarantees accommodation and food for free and the agency I have looked at gives you $1000 dollars toward your education

Sponsorship-Write letters giving your CV to companies, it also helps if you state the amount of money you want-a lot of companies will offer £500 and £1000 sponsorships, don't ignore these because they are worth it!

Charities-Some charities offer grants to thousands of students needing financial support

Scholarships-In sports or academics, although some university's do not give these to international students

I hope this helped and good luck!

Thanks for the information, although I don't think I'm looking at America.. Don't you already need to hold a degree to study at most, if not all American medical schools?

ReputationRep:
    I was specifically looking at America because its what I want to do but the options I have given you are still relevant to other countries! The au pair option might be even better than doing it in other countries than America because the parents want you to share your culture to their children

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.