Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are smokers in this country treated worse than dogs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Smoking has been linked with reducing the chances of Parkinson's, so whilst we might die you get we'll remember every moment unlike you cigaretteless heathens!
    Yeah, you'll remember every slow and painful moment until your death while everybody else is in much less pain and oblivious

ReputationRep:
    My father is a smoker. When I go to the shops I have to tie him up outside and bring a poo-bag.

^ Like that?

ReputationRep:
    smokers are not forced to take a **** in public

ReputationRep:
    My opinion of smokers has become a lot softer recently since I realised a lot of the people who smoke are just nicer people in general than the self-righteous types who consider themselves morally superior for not doing so.

Still think it smells like **** though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Yeah, you'll remember every slow and painful moment until your death while everybody else is in much less pain and oblivious
    Bite my fag
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    For an extra few years alive? And even that's not guaranteed.
    Of course it isn't. But still, why put yourself at such a disadvantage?

Besides, it isn't a few years. It's, on average, a decade. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3826127.stm

When you consider that the average age of death for a man in the UK is 77.38 years, and you're taking a decade off. Dying at 67? Really? Is it worth it? Considering if you're 20 right now, that's less than fifty years to live, on average?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking ruins our lives directly. Selfish smokers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Bite my fag
    I would but I might get cancer

and I'm not gay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    smokers are not forced to take a **** in public
    If we have the trots and we've been forced to the curb by the pub landlord we might...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennies4life)
    This society wants to ban smokers from every corner of the land, and yet dogs are free to defaecate openly and knock over small children.

All that happened after those smoking bans a few years back was that everywhere just stank of piss instead.
    Because smoking is ****ing disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Of course it isn't. But still, why put yourself at such a disadvantage?

Besides, it isn't a few years. It's, on average, a decade. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3826127.stm

When you consider that the average age of death for a man in the UK is 77.38 years, and you're taking a decade off. Dying at 67? Really? Is it worth it? Considering if you're 20 right now, that's less than fifty years to live, on average?
    An easily forgotten implication of that is that smokers will probably stop feeling healthy around 10 years before non-smokers too

ReputationRep:
    The only time I may be pissed off with smokers is if they blow smoke in my face. Though that rarely happens. I don't care if they smoke. It's their choice. Dogs are sweet and shouldn't be treated badly just because they're not human.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    An easily forgotten implication of that is that smokers will probably stop feeling healthy around 10 years before non-smokers too
    Thanks for the reminder! Yes, it really does not seem at all worth it. There's no pleasure in it apart from that which you have made yourself feel through addiction.

ReputationRep:
    This conversation is SO FUNNY! (Not the serious parts about Death and Doom and Gloom, but the interesting irrellevant/theoretical answers...LOL!)

ReputationRep:
    Because getting breaks when at work to smoke and having ash trays provided at the discretion of bar owners outside, plus the ash bins and having designated smoking areas is being treated like dogs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Dog owners invade peoples privacy. The animals (and they are just animals) are intrusive and a health hazard. Smokers generally just want a quiet fag.
    and the smell not to mention the smoke itself isnt intrusive and a health hazard?

(Original post by Snagprophet)
    I believe that if someone catches cancer from breathing in second hand smoke then that's attempted murder and the perpetrators should be charged accordingly for their assault on an individual's health. Don't like it? Don't live in this country.
    Lmao - this has got to be one of the most ridiculous answers i have ever seen on this site - and ive been for quite awhile so thats saying something.

(Original post by ArtGoblin)
    If you put a cigarette in a bin you risk starting a fire! It's better to leave a bit of litter than to start a bin fire. Most bins don't have a separate section for cigarettes.
    Surely you can take two seconds to stub it out first before putting it in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    Dog owners invade peoples privacy. The animals (and they are just animals) are intrusive and a health hazard. Smokers generally just want a quiet fag.
    Smoking is a health hazard.
    Also, just wanting a 'quiet fag' leads to all sorts of problems for other people in the country - like taking up NHS funding for unnecessary heart attacks, lung problems etc. Think of all the money wasted on smokers that could be spent on people who haven't purposely harmed their bodies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoopyLinguist)
    I wouldn't say smokers are treated like dogs, but I would say they are discriminated against - and rightly so. It's unpleasant and a selfish thing to do around others who don't smoke.
    I find many things people around me do unpleasant and selfish, yet I don't discriminate them for it.

ReputationRep:
    Because dogs are cute and lovely and play fetch and follow commands, and smokers can't even put their cig ends in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any smoker with half a brain cell will disagree that second hand smoke is harmful, hence why prohibiting smoking in public places makes sense, however having said that there is a difference between being exposed to second hand smoke for an hour and for 5 seconds.

Walking past the college/university/work place entrance and having to "suffer" a few seconds of a mixture of smoke and air (mostly air) does not constitute an inconvenience worth being hostile over. If you think those few particles of smoke you inhaled are going to significantly increase your chances of getting lung cancer then I suggest you stop breathing altogether. This angers me, especially when people point to the studies regarding second smoke effects; if you're quoting studies then be consistent and don't spout nonsense about being affected by the 2 seconds where you happened to be inhaling some particles, it's just disrespectful to science in general...

At the risk of derailing this thread, why don't we still have smoking rooms or sections, where us smokers can congregate without having to weather the harsh environment?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.