Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently on a year out of university due to illness. I'm getting really bored so a friend suggested to me that I pursue a life-long ambition and learn Swedish! However, I'm finding that good resources are hard to come by and I'm worried that I'll sound outdated to native speakers since many of the books are 20 or 30 years old.

I've currently got the Vera Croghan 'Complete Swedish' ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Swe...pd_sim_sbs_b_4 ) but would love any recommendations for other books. Can any Swedish speakers recommend any to me? I've heard Rivstart is good but it doesn't seem to be aimed at people teaching themselves so much as taught classes...?

I'm also interested in eventually finding a Swedish speaking 'penpal' of sorts to communicate with over here or Skype, both by typing and eventually maybe vocally so that I can check my progress and pick up new vocabulary etc. This could also be someone else learning Swedish for the first time, although obviously a native speaker would be preferable for pronunciation issues. If there's anyone out there who'd be interested, no matter how fluent your Swedish or English is, I'd be really grateful!

Any other hints, tips or general information would also be gratefully received.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of Swedish people on WoW (world of warcraft). A few of my mates said they would help me learn online. Whilst gaming ofc ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaux)
    Plenty of Swedish people on WoW (world of warcraft). A few of my mates said they would help me learn online. Whilst gaming ofc ^^
    WoW gives you knowledge of Warfare, Politics, History, Law, Mythology, Architecture, Philosophy, Economics, Business, Sociology, Psychology, International Relations, IT, IB, CCCP and languages.

There are just some examples what languages you can learn on certain realms with dominant population from certain countries:

Ahn'Qiraj PVP / Bronzebeard PVE / Outland PVP = Swedish

Grim Batol PVP / Sylvanas = Norwegian / Danish

Burning Legion PVP / Magtheridon PVE = Polish / Dutch

Moonglade RP / Lightbringer = Finnish

Spanish/German/Russian/French/Italian have their own separate realms!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm a native Swedish speaker, and while I cannot comment on your choice of learning aid, I have heard that Rosetta Stone's language guides are rather amazing (perhaps not cheap though) and it is aimed towards people teaching themselves. I think a good way is to start learn a few basics enough so that you can read like simple stories and novels, and then have a Swedish person aid you with things that may be unclear. When it comes to speaking basic vocabulary in combination with speaking to a native so that they may help you when you get stuck sounds like a brilliant idea. I know that languages, when we learn them in school are taught like a system compiled out of a set of rules but this is not true, the language existed before the rules. Languages is something you learn by heart and something you feel and that flows through you, like music.

I wish you the best of luck and you're free to contact me if you need anything. Plus in the International lounge there is a forum for Swedish people. Plus there's a forum called Flashback(dot)com where you might be able to find a great number of helpful people if you just manage to navigate through it.

ReputationRep:
    I can swear in Swedish

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.