Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Living problems, which do I choose? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Me and my boyfriend have been together for 5 months now, and we do love each other very much. I would like to move in with his family as we all get on very well, plus me and my mum don't get on very well. However, I know if I leave I will still miss my mum and once I leave my mum has always said I don't come back. What do I do?
    • #1

    It depends on a few things I think:
    1) Your age. If you're not 18, I'd consider this very carefully as if things go wrong and you can't move back in with your mum, life is a lot harder to live by yourself under age 18.
    2) Are you still at school? It's a big move to move in with someone, and you don't want the trauma of things going wrong if you're meant to be studying.
    3) 5 months really isn't that long for young people. I wouldn't risk it - as much as you may think you'll always be with someone, especially if you're young, things often go wrong. I've been in a relationship for about 2 years, and still wouldn't move in with my boyfriend while we're this young and still studying.
    4) You say you're going to miss your mum - well why bother moving out. When you say you don't get on, think about the reasons you don't get on. Is it just arguing about whether or not you're allowed to go out, or buy new clothes or something like that? Is it really worth risking your relationship with your mum over that. If it's more serious I'd advise talking to a trained advisor (you can go to people who are trained in talking to young people about their problems) before you make such a radical decision.
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for your advice, this has been extremely helpful.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.