Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In an experiment in physics I have got a curve that looks incredibly like an exponential decay curve, I have been told to prove it is an exponential decay curve using natural logorithms, can somebody please explain how to go about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmseahorse)
    In an experiment in physics I have got a curve that looks incredibly like an exponential decay curve, I have been told to prove it is an exponential decay curve using natural logorithms, can somebody please explain how to go about this.
    Using natural logs? That's a silly way to prove it... Oh well:

Z = Z_0e^{-kt}
    That's your bog standard general decay equation. A and k are constants; Z is your dependant variable, Z0 is the initial value before decay begins.

ln(Z) = ln(Z_0) - kt
    Taking logs... If you now plot a graph of ln(Z) against t, you will get a straight line.

So, if you plot a graph of the natural log of you dependant variable on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, it should be a straight line, with a negative gradient.

A better way to prove it would be to take ratios. The ratios of subsequent readings of Z should be equal (i.e., Z after 0s divided by Z after 10s should be equal to Z after 10s divided by Z after 20s).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.