Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Any Swansea physics students here? I have an offer to study there in Sept, but also an offer from Bristol (with higher conditions).

I am still in two minds about which to firm, Swansea has financial incentives in firming them (excellence and merit scholarships) and I went to an applicant visit day and liked the department.

Anybody let me know what their experience of studying physics at Swansea is like?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    No one?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Geology student but I'm friends with quite a lot of physics first years...I've heard a lot of good things about the first two semesters from them, it sounds like they study a wide spectrum (excuse the pun) of topics and there's quite a lot of practicals and fieldtrips.

Sorry not to be of more help, shall ask them some more when I return to uni from my Easter break next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyRocks!)
    I'm a Geology student but I'm friends with quite a lot of physics first years...I've heard a lot of good things about the first two semesters from them, it sounds like they study a wide spectrum (excuse the pun) of topics and there's quite a lot of practicals and fieldtrips.
    Thanks for the info!

(Original post by GeologyRocks!)
    Sorry not to be of more help, shall ask them some more when I return to uni from my Easter break next week!
    I would appreciate it, thanks would be really helpful! Could you possibly ask about how many credits compared to all the other modules is the practicals worth please? Also about how easy it is to get to speak to lecturers outside of lectures please?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I've firmed Swansea for September. I'm doing the physics w/ particle physics & cosmology but I'm probably going to try to transfer to the masters when I'm there. Loved the dept. when I was there and the place in general seems amazing so it sold itself to me!

Indy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indy-King)
    Hey man, I've firmed Swansea for September. I'm doing the physics w/ particle physics & cosmology but I'm probably going to try to transfer to the masters when I'm there. Loved the dept. when I was there and the place in general seems amazing so it sold itself to me!

Indy.
    Me too, I applied for the 3 year Physics with Particle Physics & Cosmology and if I end up going to Swansea then I plan on transfering to the 4 years masters too!

I have an offer for the 4 year masters at Bristol and they will probably be my firm choice, I chose the 3 year at Swansea to get a lower offer to make sure I do end up doing physics instead of applying for all masters courses and getting all rejections or too high offers! lol Im on target to meet my offer for Bristol so far.

The only thing swaying me towards picking Swansea as my firm at the moment is their excellence (AAA equiv) and merit (AAB equiv) scholarships where I would get an extra £3000 or £2000 in the first year.

I went to the applicant visit day at Swansea and kind of liked the department but I haven't been to any other physics department so I haven't got anything to compare against really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaraDai)
    Me too, I applied for the 3 year Physics with Particle Physics & Cosmology and if I end up going to Swansea then I plan on transfering to the 4 years masters too!

I have an offer for the 4 year masters at Bristol and they will probably be my firm choice, I chose the 3 year at Swansea to get a lower offer to make sure I do end up doing physics instead of applying for all masters courses and getting all rejections or too high offers! lol Im on target to meet my offer for Bristol so far.

The only thing swaying me towards picking Swansea as my firm at the moment is their excellence (AAA equiv) and merit (AAB equiv) scholarships where I would get an extra £3000 or £2000 in the first year.

I went to the applicant visit day at Swansea and kind of liked the department but I haven't been to any other physics department so I haven't got anything to compare against really.

I know so many people firming Bristol this year, it's so strange! Yeah the AAA & AAB scholarships are definitely an added bonus. They gave me a really nice offer too so I just set them as my firm with no insurance. Honestly though as pleased as I was with the physics department, the rugby & location in general played a huge part in me firming it. Probably helps that on my visit day it was really warm and bright sunshine so you could see across the bay lol. Can't wait to move there man, counting down the days here in northampton! Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indy-King)
    I know so many people firming Bristol this year, it's so strange! Yeah the AAA & AAB scholarships are definitely an added bonus. They gave me a really nice offer too so I just set them as my firm with no insurance. Honestly though as pleased as I was with the physics department, the rugby & location in general played a huge part in me firming it. Probably helps that on my visit day it was really warm and bright sunshine so you could see across the bay lol. Can't wait to move there man, counting down the days here in northampton! Haha
    lol it was the complete opposite when I went to my applicant visit day, it was like torrential rain!

Yeah Swansea is a nice place IMO, I live about 60 miles east in a small town called Cwmbran (by Newport) and have been to Swansea itself many times and always love it. And with the Gower just 5 mins away! The gower is absolutely stunning, there are like 4 different beaches and all stunning! Even Swansea beach is not that bad (the one opposite the Uni).

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2nd year going onto my 3rd year in Sept at Swansea, when it comes to the physics department you'll be hard pressed to find a department that actually has better physicists teaching you, some can be a bit laid back in their teaching style but I am yet to come across one proff that hasn't impressed me. Just watch out for Carlos (6ft alpha male bodybuilding Argentian chap) he's the only one that seems to set midterm tests, absolutely destroyed 90% of the class in Quantum Mechanics this year, can quite easily make up for those in the final exam though (I did). Also I dunno how Physics compares to other universities as I have only studied at Swansea, but if its any consolation all you have to do to pass the exams well is just understand everything on the problem sheets, also quite a few modules have past papers you can literally memorize on the intranet.

ReputationRep:
    Bit late im guessing but im joining Physics in Swansea in September

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.