Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The LM curve watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

here's my question : Why is the LM curve called the liquidity preference - money market and how come the equation does not match the graph.

M/P = YL(i) does not compare Y with i as labelled on the graph as you might expect with i as the dependent and Y as the independent value

ReputationRep:
    Because it tells you where the interest rate has to be for a given level of Y for there to be equilibrium in the money market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Because it tells you where the interest rate has to be for a given level of Y for there to be equilibrium in the money market.
    But that does not really answer my question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    But that does not really answer my question
    Yes it does. You asked why the axes are Y and i when the curve "M/P = YL(i) does not compare Y with i".

I just told you why it does in fact "compare" the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Yes it does. You asked why the axes are Y and i when the curve "M/P = YL(i) does not compare Y with i".

I just told you why it does in fact "compare" the two.
    Not really that is just repeating common knowledge.

If that is the case then if the chart wants to show equilibrium MM interest rates and output, then if should express something like this:

For M/P = YL(i), I = (M/P)/ L / Y

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.