Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I NEED YOUR HELP! York, Exeter or Warwick for Law? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have AAA conditional offers for all three , and I'm really not sure which one to pick. Pros and cons would be much appreciated. So far my feelings are that I liked the city of York, the campus of Exeter and Warwick has a lot to do on campus. I didn't like the city of Exeter, haven't seen the main campus of York, whilst Warwick felt a bit functional and isolated. PLEASE HELP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IslaMcLachlan)
    I have AAA conditional offers for all three , and I'm really not sure which one to pick. Pros and cons would be much appreciated. So far my feelings are that I liked the city of York, the campus of Exeter and Warwick has a lot to do on campus. I didn't like the city of Exeter, haven't seen the main campus of York, whilst Warwick felt a bit functional and isolated. PLEASE HELP
    Go and visit York first to really be able to narrow it down efficiently! I have an offer from Warwick too and it is a lovely campus but from many people I've heard from on here, it's marmite-like; either love it or hate it campus. Go with where you feel you would be happiest in since all have excellent reputations.

ReputationRep:
    York
    Pros: I loved how the course was described in the prospectus and the head of the school seemed really passionate talking about it on the interview day. Unique and one of a kind, Everything is brand new on Heslington east, new school and accomodation. Free bus to main campus, cheaper that Exeter and trips to Newcastle, Leeds etc organised by the union regularly for those who feel the nightlife is lacking. Only a 2 hour train from London (home for me)

Cons: Some say it's boring

Exeter:
    Pros: Apparently it has a better bigger campus because it's all in one place as it's split up. Heavy focus on careers, you're allowed to do 1-2 Modules from other departments in Second and Third year

Cons: In the middle of nowhere (no big cities), apparently it's quite expensive

Warwick: I visited this campus it seemed fine, I didn't receive an offer so didnt specifically visit the law school, but the emphasis on law in it's social context seemed interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    York
    Pros: I loved how the course was described in the prospectus and the head of the school seemed really passionate talking about it on the interview day. Unique and one of a kind, Everything is brand new on Heslington east, new school and accomodation. Free bus to main campus, cheaper that Exeter and trips to Newcastle, Leeds etc organised by the union regularly for those who feel the nightlife is lacking. Only a 2 hour train from London (home for me)

Exeter:
    Pros: Apparently it has a better bigger campus because it's all in one place as it's split up. Heavy focus on careers, you're allowed to do 1-2 Modules from other departments in Second and Third year

Warwick: I visited this campus it seemed fine, I didn't receive an offer so didnt specifically visit the law school, but the emphasis on law in it's social context seemed interesting
    I'd say that's quite a good viewpoint on York.

I'm approaching the end of my first year and it has been the best time of my life thus far. It is hard work, but very enjoyable.

The accommodation is good (I'm in Goodricke, next to the law school building) and I've met lots of great people. There are parties everywhere and all the time. In my opinion, if one is not used to the nightlife of big cities like Newcastle, Leeds, London etc. then you will be more than happy with York.

The course is great fun and certainly very unique. Whilst based in the theory of law, there is a great emphasis on the practical side to the law. We do things like negotiations. For example, we'll interview a client, they'll want something and we'll negotiate with another law firm (acting for their own client). It's great fun and you learn those extra skills that you wouldn't do in the traditional lecture/seminar style course.

PBL is great fun. Takes a little to get used to but after you know it, you'll wonder how everyone gets on without it at other law schools!

The staff are great and very approachable, and are very good in their fields. A lot of them have their own book/contribute to books and write for journals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    York

Exeter:

which one did you choose at the end? york or exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admbeatmaker)
    I'd say that's quite a good viewpoint on York.

I'm approaching the end of my first year and it has been the best time of my life thus far. It is hard work, but very enjoyable.

The accommodation is good (I'm in Goodricke, next to the law school building) and I've met lots of great people. There are parties everywhere and all the time. In my opinion, if one is not used to the nightlife of big cities like Newcastle, Leeds, London etc. then you will be more than happy with York.

The course is great fun and certainly very unique. Whilst based in the theory of law, there is a great emphasis on the practical side to the law. We do things like negotiations. For example, we'll interview a client, they'll want something and we'll negotiate with another law firm (acting for their own client). It's great fun and you learn those extra skills that you wouldn't do in the traditional lecture/seminar style course.

PBL is great fun. Takes a little to get used to but after you know it, you'll wonder how everyone gets on without it at other law schools!

The staff are great and very approachable, and are very good in their fields. A lot of them have their own book/contribute to books and write for journals.
    hii! i have an offer from york for law, but i am a bit concerned regards to its graduate prospects! do you know if mc firms go up to york for presentations and graduate recruitments or not? i am now choosing between york, exeter or qmul...

also, when i went up york to visit i was slightly unnerved by the ducks and geese (being a city girl new to england)... they won't actually cause any trouble will they? sorry for this silly question :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huchingxmomo)
    which one did you choose at the end? york or exeter?
    I firmed York and made Exeter my insurance

ReputationRep:
    I chose York over Exeter but would probably have chosen Warwick over both if I'd have applied there.

That's based on rep since I've never visited Warwick but I chose York over Exeter because I preferred the city and the course at York. I decided the difference in rep between those two was small enough to just base it on personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huchingxmomo)
    hii! i have an offer from york for law, but i am a bit concerned regards to its graduate prospects! do you know if mc firms go up to york for presentations and graduate recruitments or not? i am now choosing between york, exeter or qmul...

also, when i went up york to visit i was slightly unnerved by the ducks and geese (being a city girl new to england)... they won't actually cause any trouble will they? sorry for this silly question :/
    Well, to begin with I'd pick between Exeter or York. Both great universities with good law schools and great general reputations. QMUL has a great law school but its general reputation tends to lack. This is what helped me to make my decision last year. I considered what the reputation of the university would be outside of a career in law.

The ducks, they're great neighbours. They never cause me any trouble!

As for law firms visits. We get loads! All the MC firms come to our law fair and many of them and other law firms host drinks receptions and presentations of their own. They tend to fund many evenings out with the law society, too.

I'd definitely recommend York. But over that, I recommend you visit the universities to get your own feel for them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a law student at York, but I obtained a vac scheme.

From what I've heard, law students do find the course boring at times, but the society makes up for it. The society has been running for around 5 years, at yet it's insanely productive. Their Christmas Dinner included over 10 law trainees and 3 barristers. They really try hard to get you a chance to talk to trainees personally.

With Law, however, don't just think your degree at York will get you a job. I know many first years who have applied to no open days. In first year, I attended 10 open days, the PP: Law State School Programme, regularly went to local proceedings and secured a vac.

You're no longer competing between lawyers, it's 60/40 non-law/law. But I digress, go for York. it's a great university.

ReputationRep:
    So sorry I have not replied sooner, have just been so busy. Thanks for all the advice. I am still really stuck . Unfortunately I really haven't got enough time to visit York again. It's getting to the point I am so confused that it's keeping me up all night. I feel I should put all this into context. I got rejected from both Oxford and Durham and have felt really down about it for the majority of the year. I've had my heart set on Oxford for a very long time and stupidly just chose my other choices based solely on reputation. Part of me feels I should reapply because I'm really not sure which one to go for, which suggests I don't like any of them enough. However, I just need to decide between them so I don't have any more sleepless nights.

ReputationRep:
    So sorry I have not replied sooner, have just been so busy. Thanks for all the advice. I am still really stuck . Unfortunately I really haven't got enough time to visit York again. It's getting to the point I am so confused that it's keeping me up all night. I feel I should put all this into context. I got rejected from both Oxford and Durham and have felt really down about it for the majority of the year. I've had my heart set on Oxford for a very long time and stupidly just chose my other choices based solely on reputation. Part of me feels I should reapply because I'm really not sure which one to go for, which suggests I don't like any of them enough. However, I just need to decide between them so I don't have any more sleepless nights.
    Seriously don't rush into re-applying because you've had your heart on Oxford. I had my heart set on Oxford twice, and was rejected twice, the second time with A*A*A*A at A-Level. The only reason why you're probably unable to make a decision is because you're still hung up on Oxford ( I am too) but it's something you need to get over. Re-applying is only worthwhile if you're unhappy with your offers. You don't 'need' to be in love with a university before picking it, that's something that confuses me. As long as it's somewhere you could live for three years, the rest will fall into place once you arrive.

Out of those I would go for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Warwick! It really excels in law, above exeter. York is arguably a tad below both exeter and warwick. (disclaimer - I don't go to warwick)

ReputationRep:
    WARWICK.

pros:
    • Far better reputation than the others
    • Execellent social life
    • Execellent opportunities
    • Work is challenging

cons:
    • Campus so is isolated. For clubs you'll need to travel to Leaminton or Coventry
    • Work is tough (THIS IS GOOD AS WELL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James941)
    Seriously don't rush into re-applying because you've had your heart on Oxford. I had my heart set on Oxford twice, and was rejected twice, the second time with A*A*A*A at A-Level. The only reason why you're probably unable to make a decision is because you're still hung up on Oxford ( I am too) but it's something you need to get over. Re-applying is only worthwhile if you're unhappy with your offers. You don't 'need' to be in love with a university before picking it, that's something that confuses me. As long as it's somewhere you could live for three years, the rest will fall into place once you arrive.

Out of those I would go for Warwick.
    I know someone else in a similar position to you, you are so right. I will only reapply if I get at least 2A*s at A Level to decrease the risk of being rejected twice, but I doubt I will even do that now. I'm stressed enough with A2s as it is, so I'm not sure going to Oxford would be healthy for me tbh. What are you doing next year? I am only considering reapplying next year because I got rejected from Durham aswell, which I would have firmed.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here actually do law at Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    If I had the choice I would choose Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to point out that York has only very recently started doing Law and as such the 'reputation' isn't solidified. Simply because they don't have enough (do they have any, yet?) graduates to be able to build a good reputation. I do believe the Law department will have a very good reputation in the future however.
    I would choose York or Warwick, probably York tbh. I did have an offer for Warwick law myself but disliked the course structure/area.

If you are unsure of the uni choices you've chosen, I would definitely advise that you reapply. Especially for something like Law which is incredibly intense. I did very badly in my first year which I put down largely to being so utterly miserable with the university I'd gone to. You have to be there for 3 years remember!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone else in a similar position to you, you are so right. I will only reapply if I get at least 2A*s at A Level to decrease the risk of being rejected twice, but I doubt I will even do that now. I'm stressed enough with A2s as it is, so I'm not sure going to Oxford would be healthy for me tbh. What are you doing next year? I am only considering reapplying next year because I got rejected from Durham aswell, which I would have firmed.
    I don't think attained A2 grades are that important for Oxford. I think Cambridge is a better bet if you want your A*s to be fully appreciated. It's hard to take especially since my gap year was all in aid of this. I don't think the grades help, since I apparently didn't make the required 'subtle' distinctions so it's a massive risk. I will be doing Law either at, Warwick, Nottingham or UCL, still deciding got rejected by LSE also!

How did you do on the LNAT? If you did poorly, and are confidently of improving then a gap year wouldn't be so bad, since I'm sure you'd probably get into Durham if not Oxford with a good LNAT. However, consider the implications of getting another less than impressive score.. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get into Durham through adjustment this year, so maybe consider that. Last year, I only had an offer from Bristol and on results day Durham were in adjustment.. What would you do on your gap year? the year can drag if you're not doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify,

It is difficult to distinguish between the universities you mentioned and to be honest, it doesn't really matter because employers such as Magic Circle and Silver circle law firms still do target those universities and are not biased based on which university you attended.

What they DO care about are your skills and relevant experiences to match the skills that they are looking for, whether a pursue a career as a commercial solicitor or whatever. I am a 1st year law undergraduate at Exeter and I am having a brilliant time. 20mins away from the beach, 1 hour away from Bristol, 2.5 away from London and I definitely can say with confidence that Exeter has a fantastic employment prospects for law.

Just to support this, I have attended a series of open days, including Slaughters and Linklaters and the reputation of Exeter is definitely still on the rise!

Good luck with your degree, whatever you choose at the end of the day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.