The Student Room Group

I NEED YOUR HELP! York, Exeter or Warwick for Law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IslaMcLachlan
I know someone else in a similar position to you, you are so right. I will only reapply if I get at least 2A*s at A Level to decrease the risk of being rejected twice, but I doubt I will even do that now. I'm stressed enough with A2s as it is, so I'm not sure going to Oxford would be healthy for me tbh. What are you doing next year? I am only considering reapplying next year because I got rejected from Durham aswell, which I would have firmed.

So what are your current plans?
Go to Exeter, Uni is fantastic and the law department is excellent. Warwick is a slightly more prestigious uni however Exeter is also very good when it comes to graduation prospects and reputation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GinaLaMalfaisant
Go to Exeter, Uni is fantastic and the law department is excellent. Warwick and Exeter are pretty much on the same level when it comes to graduation prospects and reputation.

Warwick is better than Exeter.

Exeter is a decent university though, so pat yourself on the back for getting in.
Original post by LordVoldemort1

But the it has a great reputation, is well known, and high on the rankings.

Hang on a minute. Leaving aside its own PR machine that has done an excellent job, York law school opened for business in September 2008. That means its first graduates were 2011, the first cohort to complete the LPC were 2012 and the first York law grads to become solicitors will qualify in 2014.

I would describe that as "showing promise" rather than "well known, and high on the rankings"
Original post by nulli tertius
Hang on a minute. Leaving aside its own PR machine that has done an excellent job, York law school opened for business in September 2008. That means its first graduates were 2011, the first cohort to complete the LPC were 2012 and the first York law grads to become solicitors will qualify in 2014.

I would describe that as "showing promise" rather than "well known, and high on the rankings"

Oh sorry, i meant as a uni on the whole!

Okay but, I'm a little lost here, I am aware that YLS did open in '08. So that would mean it has only had a single batch of law grads? How could it already be within the top ten on league tables then?!
Original post by LordVoldemort1
Oh sorry, i meant as a uni on the whole!

Okay but, I'm a little lost here, I am aware that YLS did open in '08. So that would mean it has only had a single batch of law grads? How could it already be within the top ten on league tables then?!

It is 28th up from 39th in the Complete University Guide. It has a measure of entry standards (for which it is 15th but that isn't surprising as York is the sort of city to attract middle class southern students who really couldn't face the gritty urban realism of Newcastle, Manchester or Liverpool), student satisfaction (in which it is 6th-York consistently achieves high student satisfaction scores across the entire university), graduate prospects i.e. whether its students are in post-grad education or graduate level employment 6 months after graduation (York is joint 7th and for what it is worth Oxford is joint 12th-think about the value of this measure when it comes to legal careers), good honours (the data isn't separately published) and completion (again the data isn't separately published). York has no data for research quality because York's law school didn't exist at the time of the last Research Assessment Exercise and so the ranking has been produced extrapolating without this information.

York isn't ranked by The Times.

York is 5th in The Guardian. It is joint 10th for satisfaction with course; joint 4th for satisfaction with teaching and joint 11th with satisfaction with feedback; 15th for staff/student ratio; 17th for spend per student (really 19th as Oxford and Cambridge are unranked); 15th for average entry tariff and joint 23rd for value added (this is the most mysterious of the Guardian's criteria-no detailed methodology is published and Oxford and KCL are joint 3rd with Cambridge, UCL and LSE joint 9th-none of whose reputations are built around taking sows' ears and turning them into silk purses).

York is 2nd in the Sunday Times (this is a year behind the others as it publishes in the autumn). It is 8th in teaching excellence (this is a misnomer as it is an amalgam of the data which The Guardian uses for its three satisfaction scores), 12th for entry points.It is unranked for graduate employment.There is a problem with ordering data on the table for unemployment (it looks about mid-range). It is 13th for 1sts/2:1s. There is again a problem with ordering the data table for drop out rates (but I think York scores very highly).

Once one deconstructs these rankings, one sees actually how little they actually say about the quality of a course.
Reply 26
Original post by Cutmeloose
Warwick is better than Exeter.

Exeter is a decent university though, so pat yourself on the back for getting in.

Actually, having graduated from Warwick, I think that Warwick and Exeter are somewhat similar in their way of teaching law. And top city law firms target both graduates from Warwick and Exeter anyway.

My gf attended Exeter and I can assure you that she has managed to secure training contracts from a couple of MC firms (though she did the LLB/French Maitrise so it helps a little more).
Reply 27
I was making the same choice. I chose Warwick because of its reputation, yes, but also because they have Law w/ Social Sciences and Law w/ Humanities.

So glad I did... Being able to explore disciplines outside of law while still getting a qualifying degree might just save you, as it has me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending