Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

can you get good at something with enough patience Watch

ReputationRep:
    quick little debate do you think with enough practice, revision and paitence you can accomplish something extremely challenging like a masters degree in physics or another science, even if you are not great with maths, ive always believed you out what you put in and with enough hard work you can accomplish anything, what do you guys think?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the activity - I don't believe that with enough hard work a person is able to accomplish anything, because each of us has limits. For example, many people are, in principle, unable to learn to program. It is just part of the nature of programming that you must think in a specific, logical way. Another example is that not everyone could learn pi to 10,000 decimal places, even though most people probably could if they were able to find the time.

For mathematics and physics, it would not surprise me if a lot of people would be fundamentally unable to grasp some of the concepts, no matter how much tuition they got - certainly the more advanced you get, the less able the average person would be. I wouldn't expect of myself to be able to understand some of the things that Stephen Hawking is able to understand, for instance.

For most things, hard work absolutely helps, and can make a huge difference between an average person and someone with natural advantage, but you must have a certain natural ability as well. Hard work alone cannot make a chess champion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    It depends on the activity - I don't believe that with enough hard work a person is able to accomplish anything, because each of us has limits. For example, many people are, in principle, unable to learn to program. It is just part of the nature of programming that you must think in a specific, logical way. Another example is that not everyone could learn pi to 10,000 decimal places, even though most people probably could if they were able to find the time.

For mathematics and physics, it would not surprise me if a lot of people would be fundamentally unable to grasp some of the concepts, no matter how much tuition they got - certainly the more advanced you get, the less able the average person would be. I wouldn't expect of myself to be able to understand some of the things that Stephen Hawking is able to understand, for instance.

For most things, hard work absolutely helps, and can make a huge difference between an average person and someone with natural advantage, but you must have a certain natural ability as well. Hard work alone cannot make a chess champion.

I do agree with what you say no matter of hard work you will never be able to understand some things hawkins can, or be a chess champion but i do feel that you can learn say a science maybe not to the level of hawkins but to a highish level but maybe im wrong
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolfe2013)
    I do agree with what you say no matter of hard work you will never be able to understand some things hawkins can, or be a chess champion but i do feel that you can learn say a science maybe not to the level of hawkins but to a highish level but maybe im wrong
    Yes, I think that the average person would be able to achieve a much higher-than-average understanding of science if they had the discipline and determination to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yes, I think that the average person would be able to achieve a much higher-than-average understanding of science if they had the discipline and determination to do so.

yeah like obviously your not going to write ground breaking stuff like hawkins but maybe a masters if like you said they are prepared to put the amount of effort in needed
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolfe2013)
    yeah like obviously your not going to write ground breaking stuff like hawkins but maybe a masters if like you said they are prepared to put the amount of effort in needed
    Well, I talked about having an understanding. Whether the average person can do a masters in science, while I would like to believe so, I don't know so. The kind of work required may be beyond the average person (from which I don't exclude myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Well, I talked about having an understanding. Whether the average person can do a masters in science, while I would like to believe so, I don't know so. The kind of work required may be beyond the average person (from which I don't exclude myself).

yeah I do think not everyone can get say a Phd or a masters, i feel myself to be a averagely intelligent person and im hopefully going to university soon to do physics, i just see so many of my friends who say im not smart enough and this and that and I just think you can do it if you try hard enough, maybe some people will grant me as over average intelligence but i still feel i am and id like to prove that its possible with enough hard work

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.