Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If someone came unto you and said which of these two laptops you want for free, which one would you take. Bare in mind that this would be your primary and only computer.

Macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 (baseline non retina)
    OR
    Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2012 (baseline)

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    The pro by far. The specs are so much better than the air. Who cares about the laptop being a few mm thinner?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the pro!

Posted from the TSR app on iPhone 5

ReputationRep:
    I have the Pro and it feels very solid and strong. I think the Air is good if weight is important and you'll be carrying it around a lot. I'd go for the Pro

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, I'd prefer the Air. I doubt you'll need a fast processor (at least not one faster than the i5 on the Air) and since the Air has an SSD in place of the Pro's HDD it will be the snappier machine. In addition to this, the Pro is over 2kg whilst the Air is 1.35. Considerably more portable. In my opinion the Macbook Air is one of Apple's top products, but there you go. Just thought I'd counter what's been said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    The pro by far. The specs are so much better than the air. Who cares about the laptop being a few mm thinner?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I completely agree with you!
    -Sent from my MacBook Pro

ReputationRep:
    I have the MBP retina, but I have used also the non retina and it was also fantastic.

Plus, in the non-retina you can upgrade the memory from 8gb to 16gb.
    I think you can even replace the dvd-drive with an SSD drive. So you have 2 hard disks. One fast for operating system and apps and one for big data.

Macbook pro is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just buy a similar spec PC and use the rest of the money you saved to buy a Mercedez Benz A Class (2010)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Why don't you just buy a similar spec PC and use the rest of the money you saved to buy a Mercedez Benz A Class (2010)
    Because he wants a mac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 117r)
    If it were me, I'd prefer the Air. I doubt you'll need a fast processor (at least not one faster than the i5 on the Air) and since the Air has an SSD in place of the Pro's HDD it will be the snappier machine. In addition to this, the Pro is over 2kg whilst the Air is 1.35. Considerably more portable. In my opinion the Macbook Air is one of Apple's top products, but there you go. Just thought I'd counter what's been said.
    I've got a Pro and put an SSD in it The lack of 'upgradability' of the Air was what put me off it when I was deciding between them last year.

ReputationRep:
    Pro definitely. Why would you choose the Air?
    Maybe I'm biased though since I have the new Pro.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.