Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are your experiences with them? Can you recommend any good ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    What are your experiences with them? Can you recommend any good ones?
    Hello Zuki

My only experience of intensive learner driver courses comes from conducting the driving tests of the candidates they produce.

I was stationed for a time at a Driving Test Centre that had the misfortune to be local to one of these courses. Fridays were often a nightmare, when the end of course punters presented themselves for test. They were embarrassingly bad. It was a major achievement to complete the test requirements with them. Many of their tests were terminated.

Don't believe the stories you hear about people passing driving tests after an intensive course from scratch. The people who scrape it have had experience elsewhere; riding pushbikes and motorcycles, driving agricultural vehicles on the road etc.

It's not that the instructors on these courses are particularly bad. Your brain needs time to absorb learning, particularly with a skill that requires coordination and judgement in real time.

Have you seen my videos on YouTube on the Driving Test, and learning to drive? My YouTube name is lacontrabasse.

' Choosing a Driving Instructor '
    ' Life, the Universe and Driving Tests '
    ' The Driving Test. Reversing around a corner '
    ' Independent Driving in the Driving Test '

All the best

Victor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victormeldrew)
    /
    Thanks Victor!

ReputationRep:
    I did a semi-intensive over 4 weeks with A-Class. The thought of a 3 hour lesson was a bit daunting at first, but those 3 hours go so quickly. Had a brilliant instructor and ended up passing 3rd time with 1 minor.

All you do is book and intensive course on their website and pay for it;I booked 35 hours for £692, £62 of which goes on your first test, so works out £18 an hour which is pretty cheap.
    Then someone from the office will contact you and get a rough outline of the time period you want to do it in. The instructor you'll be working with will then get in touch with you and you'll have a chat about it, then they'll go and draw up a schedule based on what you discussed and see what you think of it.

ReputationRep:
    they are good for getting a great basic start which will usually require less lessons from that point but if a test is involved then take it for the experience if you feel ready

could a student do all the term work and pass the exam in an intensive course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.