Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Traditionally time to half can be calculated by viewing exponential decay on a graph and calculating the point at which the point is half the original amplitude (as seen in graph 1).

However, how do you calculate a time to half if the graph looks like graph 2?

Would/Could it literally be when the value is of half? So in Graph 2 if the peak is 10, and (marked green X on graph) is value 5... could the time taken to reach that point be used as the Time To Half or not????

Anyone chip in their thoughts on this please?

ReputationRep:
    Draw a graph showing the max amplitude of each peak against time. Join with a smooth curve. Look at time to halve amplitude.

You've marked a point where DISPLACEMENT halves.
    This isn't the point youre looking for ...

ReputationRep:
    The time where amplitude halves is exactly at the point where displacement halves because the displacement IS the amplitude.

My point is in Graph 2 it is damped, and therefore the graph does as it shows and therefore there are no peaks to draw apart from what is shown. Meaning the next peak in graph 2 is at the very bottom (near 0) and obviously at that point the value has more than halved (possibly 90% reduction).

So my point was, in graph 2 (I know how to do it for graph 1)... would the time to halve literally be when on graph 2 the value reaches 5? (in which case it would be a very fast time to half?)

Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so - in graph2 - the Amplitude at the point where the displacement is 5 isnt 5! You dont know what the amplitude is at that time.

You only have 3 points where you can meaure the amplitude so youre not going to get very accurate results. But you should sketch a graph of amplitude against time. Draw a curve through the 3 points and look at the time for the amplitude to halve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    I dont think so - in graph2 - the Amplitude at the point where the displacement is 5 isnt 5! You dont know what the amplitude is at that time.

You only have 3 points where you can meaure the amplitude so youre not going to get very accurate results. But you should sketch a graph of amplitude against time. Draw a curve through the 3 points and look at the time for the amplitude to halve.
    Could you draw me what you mean?

How can I sketch amplitude against time when that is what I already have drawn?

I assume you mean the three points (black +'s) which I have marked above? If so it would produce exactly the same plot.

The next "amplitude" to use has a value which is way beyond half the value of the initial amplitude (more like 90% less than the initial value).

ReputationRep:
    Your graph is displacement against time.

Take the positive values of those three points and you have three values of amplitude.

Draw an exponential through them

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

Also any idea if you can calculate the period of an exponential decay such as the one seen in Graph 2?

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at the points where the graph crosses the axis and get some sort of average.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.