Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

That thread again- Getting into ski/snowboarding watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont know nobody who is into ski/snowboarding, probably the first person in my entire family to even contemplate it.

I am in my late twenties, at university and I am keen to take it up as something you can do as a lifelong hobby, because thats what I do and I am at that sort of age.

I am very fit, regular gym training and I am not the type to trip over themselves when looking the other way. Which is a plus as far as this stuff goes.

The only thing is, just how does a lone man in his late twenties get into this stuff?

I would go on a ski trip by myself, hell I love the wilds and country, but is this something you'd leave until you're more experienced?

I've read being a newbie is very good for those interactions on the slopes and being an experienced person has even bigger benefits but this is not what I am.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRgawdlike)
    I dont know nobody who is into ski/snowboarding, probably the first person in my entire family to even contemplate it.

I am in my late twenties, at university and I am keen to take it up as something you can do as a lifelong hobby, because thats what I do and I am at that sort of age.

I am very fit, regular gym training and I am not the type to trip over themselves when looking the other way. Which is a plus as far as this stuff goes.

The only thing is, just how does a lone man in his late twenties get into this stuff?

I would go on a ski trip by myself, hell I love the wilds and country, but is this something you'd leave until you're more experienced?

I've read being a newbie is very good for those interactions on the slopes and being an experienced person has even bigger benefits but this is not what I am.

Any advice?
    Theres a ski slope in sheffield btw

And what interactions would those be lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRgawdlike)

Any advice?
    Hey
    I would investigate if there is a dry slope in your area (maybe you're lucky enough to have a snowdome!) and look on their website or ring up to see how much lessons are. Most of the time you can have group lessons, where you might not learn as fast because there are loads of other people for the instructor to focus on, but you may be able to make friends with people easier. Or you could get one to one lessons which is more expensive although you are likely to learn quicker.

Most universities and dry slopes also organise skiing trips, so if you join a winter sport society at uni or get lessons at the dry slope you are likely to meet someone who will want to go with you.

Good luck on the slopes

ReputationRep:
    i'd say " try and find a snowdome in your area", but i don't think they help - their's normally way too many people and it's just so different to real mountains. Many of my family members tried this before they went out to the real thing, thought they were doing okay, then had to take lessons at the ski resort we were staying at.
    So, i strongly suggest going to some mountains ( maybe Alps?) in a resort with ESF instructors ( or similar) and learning with them. It's usually just morning or afternoon for a week, then when you're not learning, you do whatever you want.. practise. chill with friends, whatever. Point is - snowdomes don't prepare you for actual mountains and i just think it's a waste of money.
    And if you did skateboarding when you were younger, and were fairly good, there's a chance you could be good at snowboarding. Ski's you have more balance and control i find, but who knows? Try a bit of both when you get there and good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.