Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tiger Woods no.1 again – a sad day for golf watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: looks like it's controversial opinion time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21930251

Tiger Woods won the Arnold Palmer Invitational to propel him to the world number one spot above Rory McIlroy the other weekend. With a few exceptional performances under his belt this season and at the end of last season, it looks like we could be returning to another era of his dominance.

There was nothing better for the world of professional golf than when Tiger was down and out in the wake of his affairs scandal. We had new Major winners from all over the place; the top spot in the rankings was always up for grabs; every tournament lacked the lingering feeling that it was only going to be about one man at the end of the day. Tiger's name carried such prestige with it that players have spoken about mentally crumbling just because they'd seen it a few places below their own on the leaderboard on Sunday. People belittle the Scottish football league for its predictable end-of-season results, and pour scorn on the Chinese capability at the Olympics of winning everything and anything. Yet the reaction for Tiger seems to be overwhelming adoration.

People seem often not to notice the constant spitting, swearing, and depressed and angry looks that Tiger puts on whenever he plays. He exaggerates injuries to drop out of tournaments that he isn't doing well in. While Phil Mickleson and Luke Donald are out signing countless hats and balls for their fans, I've seen Tiger neglect to give a small child that was running along side him a high five. He always seems to act like the fans owe him a favour, and the fiasco over his countless affairs underlined his egocentrism. How anyone can cheer him on in the hope that he'll take the Majors record off Jack is beyond me.

But whether you like him or not, Tiger is here to stay, and the world of pro golf is about to get a lot more boring and monotonous as a result.

ReputationRep:
    If Rory McIlroy wins this week, he'll be back to number one and thus Tiger's "dominance" will be off-track, temporarily possibly.

Sure, it was maybe a tad predictable when Tiger was dominating all those years ago and you're right, it has been refreshing to see new Major winners come up although no-one has really threatened to dominate like Tiger did, with the exception of McIlroy who has the potential to do so in the future when he comes to grips with his off the field activities and adjusting to his new clubs.

Woods coming back to form is good for the game of golf, sure all the sponsors will be chuffed. But he's won PGA Tour events, in which he seems to have played very well. His putting seems to have improved tremendously. If he wins at Augusta and wins well then I'd be worried but I think his resurgence will make other players play better.

ReputationRep:
    I think only Rory and possibly Brandt could touch tiger this year. The world rankings are really just a representation of quality.

I'm pleased to see that no one looks like they could dominate. As I've said above, only in golf to people seem to be happy to see one guy win everything.

He has been more consistent than mcilroy this season, and he seems to have sorted his driving out a bit too. As I've said, I think players are afraid of him, and I think if he does come back to full strength it'll take someone young and unfazed to topple him.

ReputationRep:
    Is McIlroy unfazed by Tiger? I'm not so sure.

I'm not entirely too comfortable with McIlroy/Woods having this public love-in of each other, complimenting each other (nothing wrong with that), sending texts, doing TV ads for Nike (which is the ideal thing to do if you're in charge of Nike, i.e. put your two biggest names together) but I'd prefer it if on-course, he created a distance between him and Tiger, not make them out to be too pally pally as it can affect Rory. He's young and Tiger is a guy he's looked up to, might distract him from his goals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.