Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone self taught them self to play an instrument? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone has self taught them self how to play the instrument and how the process of doing it went. I myself and thinking of teaching myself how to play the piano, so if anyone has done this, feel free to comment and mention any sources that helped you to do so!
    Thanks in advance!

Also I have a keyboard that I would be using to self teach myself. Would this hinder my learning? Is it better to have a piano?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1education)
    Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone has self taught them self how to play the instrument and how the process of doing it went. I myself and thinking of teaching myself how to play the piano, so if anyone has done this, feel free to comment and mention any sources that helped you to do so!
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I learnt how to play the piano by self-teaching myself. If you've done no music before, you'll need to learn some theory like how to read music, clefs, key signatures and chords first. Since I already played Violin and Flute, I could already do this, and so downloaded free sheet music off the internet and started learning them! However if you're a complete beginner, you may find it easier to buy a book of simple piano tunes to start with.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    I learnt how to play the piano by self-teaching myself. If you've done no music before, you'll need to learn some theory like how to read music, clefs, key signatures and chords first. Since I already played Violin and Flute, I could already do this, and so downloaded free sheet music off the internet and started learning them! However if you're a complete beginner, you may find it easier to buy a book of simple piano tunes to start with.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks, yup this definitely helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am self teaching violin, if you know an instrument already it's easier to start, the piano is fairly easy as long as you can do that tapping head/rubbing tummy thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself how to play guitar just looked at chord diagrams until I could do them and remember them all

ReputationRep:
    Taught myself guitar. I had a couple of lessons when I was younger (I started at 8 or 9), but this turned out to be mostly playing scales and learning a chord or two. After learning to read tablature, teaching myself was pretty easy. You don't notice it, but you do gradually get a more fluent playing style and various other skills.

I'd recommend learning chord structures and then learning a few simple songs. If you're learning piano, you'll need to check out how to read sheet music. After that you'll get the feel for your instrument and find yourself experimenting and tabbing out songs without guidance from a book. Don't be afraid to try new approaches and experiment with music, it'll only make you a beter player. Good luck and most importantly, have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I taught myself the piano learnt some basic theory from http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fun...workbooks.html and then moved on to practising simple pieces from the "Sheet Music" section on the same site. I also used http://www.pianonanny.com/ but that was so long ago I don't really remember how good it was or how much of it I used.

ReputationRep:
    If you have no musical experience whatsoever then I'd stick to learning with a teacher first

However if you feel pretty confident after a few weeks, you can ditch the teacher and carry on yourself!
    I've self taught myself guitar but I had already been playing classical piano and cello for 10 and 8 years so I didn't have zero experience...

ReputationRep:
    Taught myself to play Piano also, just practiced for hours a day and in four years I took my Grade eight.
    Never took a lesson in my life, never saw the reason to, self-teaching also improved my improvisation and composition skills to no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basil Brush)
    I taught myself the piano learnt some basic theory from http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fun...workbooks.html and then moved on to practising simple pieces from the "Sheet Music" section on the same site. I also used http://www.pianonanny.com/ but that was so long ago I don't really remember how good it was or how much of it I used.
    Thanks alot for those links. Roughly how long did it tell you to self taught yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for those links. Roughly how long did it tell you to self taught yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started when I was in year 9 I think and practised between half an hour and an hour everyday until the end of GCSEs, then got really complacent and stopped I didn't do any grades, but by the end I'd say I was at a similar level to my friends who were doing grade 4/5

ReputationRep:
    Well when i was 7 , i had one year of piano lessons, wich is cool, then u learn some basic stuff like readin music, then i stopped doing that, and round my puberty i started to buy books with jazz and bleus classics and started learning myself !!!!

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself piano and bass

I had about two months of piano lessons in year 7 at one a week but stopped because I didn't like my teacher then proceeded to not touch the piano for a year. After that break I picked up again and taught myself properly through playing by ear and improving my sight reading. After two years I could play Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse and considered myself at a decent level
    Just under two years ago I picked up the bass (electric) and went for it, of course the piano experience helped my out there though. Now I play them both and continue to teach myself and pick up little bits here and there!

One thing I will say though is once you get the wheel rolling listen to LOADS of piano oriented songs and see if you can put them onto the keys as it'll really help your ear

ReputationRep:
    I have self taught myself many instruments. I have taught myself trumpet which i found very easy as i already play tenor horn which uses the same valve positions but with trombone it was slightly harder due to the use of the slide instead of valves so i used tutorials on youtube. The same really goes with self teaching myself guitar and bass .I learnt keyboard skills in ks3 music at high school so i was able to progress from there which helped me in gcse and a level music as well as a level music tech

ReputationRep:
    How do you teach yourself to play when some instruments are so expensive? :lolwut:

I want to learn to play the guitar (and piano some day), but a decent guitar is a couple hundred quid... And I've saved up about 50 quid....

ReputationRep:
    There are apps as well that claim to help

ReputationRep:
    I self taught myself to play the piano because the piano teachers pissed me off too much.

A keyboard should be fine at the beginning, you should try and use a piano at some point though, maybe at your school/college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    There are apps as well that claim to help
    What are the names of these apps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are the names of these apps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't remember but check out the older episodes of "click" on bbc, just google it, it might come up
    It was shown on click.

ReputationRep:
    Got piano lessons from a young age, which helped with theory for subsequent instruments. Am self-taught for Mandolin, Mbira, Ukulele, and Bass. Once you have the basic concepts down in terms of scale patterns, it's just a case of finger patterns on string instruments.

Not had lessons for 3 years now, and self-taught when it comes to Jazz and Rock stuff, which is what am better at. As long as you enjoy it, whether it be with teacher or self-taught, you'll pick it up. Tis just a case of practice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.