Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Anyone self taught them self to play an instrument? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus are self-taught musicians, and are now international superstars.
    It can be done. I've heard they don't read or write music either.

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself how to play the Ukulele. At first I couldn't even hold it properly. Now I know all of the chords and correct finger positions. Last song I learnt was the Titanic theme.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of teaching myself the drums.

I got them a year ago but until now haven't really been able to do anything on them due to school and where we lived. Now we're out the way I've been able to start teaching myself a bit more. Only know a few basic songs but they're not the priority, just got a metronome to work on timing and rudiments, which I will probably be doing for a few months solid at least!

ReputationRep:
    I self taught myself guitar, drums and ukulele, and improvise on piano quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt piano and guitar on my own over the course of roughly 4 years. I personally started off with theory, reading music will help alot unless you can play by ear; even then you'd have to know at least the basics of theory. Theory isn't hard as long as you are persistent with it at least 20 minutes a day will make a massive difference, I also got grade 1 sight reading books which come with an audio cd and you can play along. Gets you used to reading without looking at your hands.
    with guitar i kind of cheated, I learnt how to tune with tuner and by ear, learnt the string names but I play chords on that. I find it easier and learning different strumming patterns chords will sound great

ReputationRep:
    When I was little I taught myself the recorder. Then I kind of self-taught the flute a bit before having proper lessons (and then quitting them haha). I'd like to take up the flute again though.

ReputationRep:
    I self-taught myself the ukulele after getting a boost on guitar and self-taught the guitar.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.