Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With the news that David Miliband is expected to step down as MP for South Shields, this means another by-election for us all to enjoy
    Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Labour win.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I don't think it will be too exciting, David had a 30% majority last time and it's been a Labour seat since 1935.

ReputationRep:
    Labour have about a 10% poll lead and it's a rock solid safe seat. I suspect it'll be fairly boring as by-elections go. Only point of interest will be who Labour parachute in this time.

ReputationRep:
    by the by, am I the only one who, upon hearing he's going off to be CEO of 'International Rescue Committee' think of...

??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks David, you could do something useful like challenge your incompetent brother and you bugger off to international rescue committee.

Second place is the one to watch with the rise of UKIP.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hardly going to be on a knife edge I suspect.

Be more interesting to see who Labour's candidate is, gives them a chance to parachute someone in mid term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    by the by, am I the only one who, upon hearing he's going off to be CEO of 'International Rescue Committee' think of...

??
    Haha yes, I did! Can't blame him for getting out though, would have been interesting to see which way he would have taken Labour if he had become leader.

(Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Thanks David, you could do something useful like challenge your incompetent brother and you bugger off to international rescue committee.

Second place is the one to watch with the rise of UKIP.
    Urgh, I hope UKIP get no where close to second, Conservatives and Lib Dems will probably scrap it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Urgh, I hope UKIP get no where close to second, Conservatives and Lib Dems will probably scrap it out.
    Hopefully they won't but the possibility is worth bearing in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Well done trade union.

ReputationRep:
    The media will focus on the second place race - Conservative vs UKIP. Labour has this seat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.