Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeHiiiPower')
    Thank you for your help...I don't think I would want to take a gap year but I'm not completely ruling it out
    Fair enough, I mean medicine isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of other good uni courses to apply for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlockedd)
    Fair enough, I mean medicine isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of other good uni courses to apply for!
    Yeah I think this is what I'm slowly but surely getting my head around there are many other careers that I'm interested in so fingers crossed i just get onto a course I enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeHiiiPower')
    I think a number of things....i started AS off really well then, one evening in october I stayed up until 2 in the morning doing a Bio write up and I feel like it just went downhill from around that time from being at the top of my classes to crap the bottom :/

I have anaemia which is getting sorted I know it's nothing major...I've had it for 3 years barely taking my tablets...being seriously fatigued and I think with something like anaemia no one really takes it seriously I told my biology teacher about it when discussing my result she didn't really seem to understand I told her I had anaemia and she said that it isn't something that would have affected my grades I then told her I was just really tired and she was like yeah that's it?!! (I was confused at this point) (sorry if this doesn't make much sense)
    I feel like I've lost control...but I also procrastinate a lot...usually when something's hard I just have a belief that I won't understand or remember it and so i'd rather do something else I know stupid excuse....I think I'm scared to try and fail anyway
    I feel like i did this with my gcses I let my self down I didn't revise hard enough and I got less than I should have...
    *also there were many things especially in biology that I just didn't know...I never learnt...I was off on a day to a trip and I never remembered or learnt properly the sequence of things like translation and transcription etc.
    with geography I got As and Bs in my mocks so that was a bit of a shock but I didn't revise as much because I thought more should be spent on subjects that I wasn't doing as well in....I've done that before at gcse as well (wont be doing that anymore)

If I retook a year....I would plan better..spend more time in the library and do my homework straight away and of course more past papers

I think the thing is I feel like everyone around me has such a high expectation of me...my teachers tell me that I should have got better than what I did...I think I should have got better but I didn't...I left my revision too late bad habit from previous years

Overall negative thinking with bits of realism

Sorry if this is rambly or irrelevant
    Not rambly at all, I understand exactly where you are at.

Firstly, cut the negative thinking and pressure you are putting on yourself. You need to think long term: if you focus positively on learning from the core principles, have a strict routine by going over stuff you've learnt at school over the weekend, ask for help when you don't understand, go back to teachers when you miss lessons etc - this gives you the solid foundation to do well in exams.

If you think negative/hope your weakest topics don't come up etc then it erodes your confidence. That's the last thing you want.

I had crap AS exams, and post-AS results day 2012 I told myself one thing: I need to confront my fears head on, I can't just hide away from them or hope I'll get lucky in the exam (because A Levels exams always catch out those who blagged their way through the course)

All I can say is, if you do what you can to focus on embracing a strong positive work ethnic, then everything (grades, teachers, exam results, uni etc) will take care of itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    Not rambly at all, I understand exactly where you are at.

Firstly, cut the negative thinking and pressure you are putting on yourself. You need to think long term: if you focus positively on learning from the core principles, have a strict routine by going over stuff you've learnt at school over the weekend, ask for help when you don't understand, go back to teachers when you miss lessons etc - this gives you the solid foundation to do well in exams.

If you think negative/hope your weakest topics don't come up etc then it erodes your confidence. That's the last thing you want.

I had crap AS exams, and post-AS results day 2012 I told myself one thing: I need to confront my fears head on, I can't just hide away from them or hope I'll get lucky in the exam (because A Levels exams always catch out those who blagged their way through the course)

All I can say is, if you do what you can to focus on embracing a strong positive work ethnic, then everything (grades, teachers, exam results, uni etc) will take care of itself.
    ...yeah I think that's what caught me out in my exams not revising/learning everything properly ...I think I'm going to take your advice and write down and put it on my wall! Positive thinking is something that I always strive and work at but for some reason this school year it's been really hard...thank you for your help I will definitely take it board

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.