Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I am 26 and currently working part time for the police. I am studying for my a levels in English literature as well as English language. I am also doing an English literature degree with the OU which I will not finish until June 2017. As I have such a ling time until graduation I want ti make sure I use it effectively. I have a toddler and baby who will both be at school when i graduate. In order to help my husband support our family financially the inly viable option I have is salaried schools direct (in secondary English). The website says I need 3 years career experience after qualification however by then I will have been in the police for 10 years - will this count? Or should I look to find a job within a school setting? My current role obviously means I deal with problem solving, requires strong communication and personal skills as well as showing integrity.

Sorry for spelling mistakes - the buttons on my phone are tiny! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denver2010)
    Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I am 26 and currently working part time for the police. I am studying for my a levels in English literature as well as English language. I am also doing an English literature degree with the OU which I will not finish until June 2017. As I have such a ling time until graduation I want ti make sure I use it effectively. I have a toddler and baby who will both be at school when i graduate. In order to help my husband support our family financially the inly viable option I have is salaried schools direct (in secondary English). The website says I need 3 years career experience after qualification however by then I will have been in the police for 10 years - will this count? Or should I look to find a job within a school setting? My current role obviously means I deal with problem solving, requires strong communication and personal skills as well as showing integrity.

Sorry for spelling mistakes - the buttons on my phone are tiny! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some schools require the 3 years to be obtained after graduation, just to let you know.
    You will need experience within a school setting, as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    One of the other girls on my PGCE was an ex police officer and she made a fantastic teacher. She had lots of life experience that was invaluable. Just make sure you get some experience in a few schools.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your replies. I called today to enquire and they have confirmed that as my degree is with the OU and part time they recognise that I, and other OU students, will have enough necessary work experience to mean that I dont have to work for 3 years past graduation. She said it is aimed at students who have gone to uni straight from school and have not worked full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.