Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Want to lose some weight but feel like everyone is stopping me Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so to cut a long story short, I'm not a fat person anyway. My BMI is around 21/22 and because I'm really tall I'd look stupid if I was really thin, I'm a size 12 most of the time.
    But I'd like to lose a stone to a stone and a half.
    I usually eat like a horse and I mean really. I'd have the biggest portions ever and always have room for pudding.
    But now I've decided to change.
    I'm asking for smaller portions at meal time, walking to more places as often as I can, cutting out all the junk food and we have some gym equiptment in our garage I'd like to use once it's been tidied up.

HOWEVER...

Since I've always been nortious for eating loads, I think my Mum thinks I'm turning anorexic or she'll think I've been bullied for my weight, she always jumps to stuff like that because she cares. My Dad just rolls his eyes at me and to be honest I think he thinks I'm being stupid. They still bring me in junky food and expect me to eat it. My friends are all, 'oh you don't need to lose weight'.
    And I'm just sick of people stopping me from doing what I want.
    I'd like to lose some so I can feel happier with myself, I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself and no one can put themselves in my shoes because they're not me.
    How do I get the people in my life to take me seriously and respect my wishes when it comes to the food my parents buy for me, portion sizes etc.
    I just really want to lose some weight and feel happier in myself but I just can't see it being possible with everyone trying to stop me
    Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Could try not restricting the amount of food you eat at a given meal.

Sometimes I eat around 2000 calories in one sitting then go 8-10 hours before eating again. Call it intermittent fasting, but it's not exactly intentional. I struggle to maintain my weight (keeping it from dropping, not rising) when I eat like this. How tall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fan service)
    Could try not restricting the amount of food you eat at a given meal.

Sometimes I eat around 2000 calories in one sitting then go 8-10 hours before eating again. Call it intermittent fasting, but it's not exactly intentional. I struggle to maintain my weight (keeping it from dropping, not rising) when I eat like this. How tall?
    My issue is I get hungry really easy so I don't think I could do that long. I think the longest I could do would be about 4/5 hours. And I'm 6'0-6'1, not really sure, probably somewhere in between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 747-400)
    My issue is I get hungry really easy so I don't think I could do that long. I think the longest I could do would be about 4/5 hours. And I'm 6'0-6'1, not really sure, probably somewhere in between.
    tbh i recommend Fan Service's method and follow something similar myself, i absolutely love food and found the eat small amounts x times a day methods just left me thinking about food constantly and never feeling full. I eat pretty much my entire days worth of calories in one giant meal (i leave about 200 calories for drinks throughout the day) and after a week or so of doing it got into the habit of enjoying a meal then not thinking about food until the next day and i also combined that with exercise (personally i have my meal between 12-2pm and go to the gym between 8-11pm for a 1 and a half hour session).

It will be hard to get into at first but your body will get into the routine pretty quickly plus you get the satisfaction of actually feeling full and well fed once a day and just stop thinking about food for the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to lose some so I can feel happier with myself
    Truth be told, losing weight isn't going to make you feel better or happier, dear . First and foremost, you must love yourself before started thinking of losing weight. Otherwise, it won't make sens at all. How're you going to SUDDENLY feel happy with yourself if you haven't ever learned to feel so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leen!)
    Truth be told, losing weight isn't going to make you feel better or happier, dear . First and foremost, you must love yourself before started thinking of losing weight. Otherwise, it won't make sens at all. How're you going to SUDDENLY feel happy with yourself if you haven't ever learned to feel so?
    I am happy as I can be with myself, obviously I know I'm not magically going to turn into a Victoria's Secret model overnight and love appearance, that will never happen I know. I'd just like to look better for summer etc and I know that will make me happier

ReputationRep:
    I am happy as I can be with myself, obviously I know I'm not magically going to turn into a Victoria's Secret model overnight and love appearance, that will never happen I know. I'd just like to look better for summer etc and I know that will make me happier
    It sounds like you're prepared . So many people think losing weight will turn them into a different person. It will, but not as much as people think. As long as you know you're doing it to be healthier and feel better then I'm sure you will be happy with the results!

ReputationRep:
    You can still eat alot, just try phase the junk out of your diet, it will make you a healthier person anyway.

Just do what you wanna do, explain this to your parents, sit them down if you have to and I'm sure they'll understand.

As for your friends, just say you wanna take up fitness as a hobby and it's not a matter of losing weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    It sounds like you're prepared . So many people think losing weight will turn them into a different person. It will, but not as much as people think. As long as you know you're doing it to be healthier and feel better then I'm sure you will be happy with the results!
    I know I really don't feel as if I'm going to change as a person at all, just drop a dress size (hopefully) and that's all, I'll still be me!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ok so to cut a long story short, I'm not a fat person anyway. My BMI is around 21/22 and because I'm really tall I'd look stupid if I was really thin, I'm a size 12 most of the time.
    I usually eat like a horse and I mean really. I'd have the biggest portions ever and always have room for pudding.
    I'm asking for smaller portions at meal time, walking to more places as often as I can, cutting out all the junk food and we have some gym equiptment in our garage I'd like to use once it's been tidied up.

HOWEVER...

Since I've always been nortious for eating loads, I think my Mum thinks I'm turning anorexic or she'll think I've been bullied for my weight, she always jumps to stuff like that because she cares. My Dad just rolls his eyes at me and to be honest I think he thinks I'm being stupid. They still bring me in junky food and expect me to eat it. My friends are all, 'oh you don't need to lose weight'.
    I'd like to lose some so I can feel happier with myself, I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself and no one can put themselves in my shoes because they're not me.
    How do I get the people in my life to take me seriously and respect my wishes when it comes to the food my parents buy for me, portion sizes etc.
    I just really want to lose some weight and feel happier in myself but I just can't see it being possible with everyone trying to stop me
    Sorry to hear this. Maybe things will sort themselves out once you continuously leave over some of the bigger portions and your mum will learn? And if your friends don't support you, make a thread on TSR where you detail your efforts and people can be supportive. There is also that ticker factory thing where you can measure your progress.

I think if this is something for you, just screw everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Sorry to hear this. Maybe things will sort themselves out once you continuously leave over some of the bigger portions and your mum will learn? And if your friends don't support you, make a thread on TSR where you detail your efforts and people can be supportive. There is also that ticker factory thing where you can measure your progress.

I think if this is something for you, just screw everyone else.
    Yeah I'm going to start doing that and she if she gets the message. The thing is buying what I'd class a junky food for example. Like, my parents buy me ready meals, such as Chilli Con Carne etc for if they're out and I'll be eating on my own but that's not good for me but they don't think it's bad, I feel like we're having a clash of knowledge/opinions which isn't really helping!
    I'm going to stick with it and see how everything pans out, hopefully it'll be worth it I use myfitnesspal to track and log stuff as well as it having a community option where you can add friends which seems good!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm going to start doing that and she if she gets the message. The thing is buying what I'd class a junky food for example. Like, my parents buy me ready meals, such as Chilli Con Carne etc for if they're out and I'll be eating on my own but that's not good for me but they don't think it's bad, I feel like we're having a clash of knowledge/opinions which isn't really helping!
    I wouldn't bother getting hung up on what you consider junk food or not. In terms of both health and weight loss - your body doesn't care... it only cares about getting various nutrients and not how they are arranged together in the meals or food stuffs that you eat. In particular, to lose weight healthily, you just need to get an adequate supply of all of the nutrients that your body needs albeit with a slightly smaller amount of total energy than your body uses.

I haven't heard of many people that would consider something like chilli con carne to be a junk food... sounds more like a staple meal.

ReputationRep:

HOWEVER...

They are not stopping you.

You are stopping yourself.

Cook for yourself.

If you're eating healthily then ignore the ignorant opinions of others.

ReputationRep:
    Lost 4.2lbs this week - no one is stopping me!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Here's an easy thing to say to your friends when they tell you you need to lose weight: "I know I don't need to lose weight; it's something I want to do." This worked for me, for the most part.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.