Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding student fees at OU starting October '13

As I'm sure all of you know, the fees if you are a resident in England compared to Scotland are very different. :mad: I was just wondering though, if I was to relocate to Scotland to live during my studies, if that would mean that I would be eligible for the Scottish fees and not the English fees or not.

Thanks in advance

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, no. I'm pretty sure you have to have lived in Scotland for a certain period of time (3 years?) before starting a higher education course, for the SAAS to pay your fees for you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi ayy_daps,

Thanks for your reply.

Apparently though, the fees wouldn't be free but for about £1500 for the amount of credits that £5000 would buy you in England.

Would I be subject for that discounted price (not free) ?

There isn't much information around for this really that I can find,

Thanks in advance
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The 3 year rule should apply here, but phone the OU to make sure.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but no you wouldn't be able to get around it that easily.

Think of it this way -

English students coming to live and study at a Scottish uni get charged more than Scottish students even though they would be living in Scotland for 4 years. Studying at the OU doesn't make a difference I'm affraid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would believe the residency rules would apply, and that means your main reason of being in Scotland would be to work. I did my first degree at Stirling, and my sister decided to move as well for work. After several years she decided to go to university as well in Scotland, she was a month or so short of the residency requirement so had to pay English fees and apply to Student Finance England.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.