Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    Frankenstein: 5, Yeats: just over 4 sides.
    I definitely wrote too much, I felt like I was rambling on for Frankenstein (I answered b, it's difficult to get a concise argument for 'Discuss' questions), and I had about 20 seconds to check my work

Last year someone in my school got full marks in the exam and according to my english teacher their spelling was 'horrid', I don't think they really care (literature not language) unless it becomes difficult to read, which would then affect communication and fluency... or if you misspell something really trivial like the title of the book, or chthonic
    Thanks a bunch...I wrote 8 for Yeats and 7 for Frankenstein..don't know how I wrote so fast...hope I did okay

ReputationRep:
    the questions on this exam were literally a god send but i still know i messed up. got the wrong name of one of the poems i cross referenced and didn't have time to conclude on the second question.
    so pissed off with myself because the questions were so nice.

ReputationRep:
    that exam was ridiculously hard!! second coming was ok but dorian gray soooo difficult, did anyone else so the lord henry and dorian q? and what did u say? cos i totally bullsh**ted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiallD)
    12? :eek: How can you write that much in such a short time I wrote about 3 for Yeats and 4 for Frankenstein and that was loads for me considering the time
    Hahaa I wrote 7 for Second Coming and 6 for Dorian Gray I went mad LOL no more english ever again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Dunphy)
    Anyone who did Jane eyre hunger, rage, and rebellion question : what were your points?

I did:

Misread it and thought it said about Jane Eyre being completely about rage, rebllion and hunger when it was asking how far is it about r.r.h

Yes it's mostly about hunger, rage and rebellion:
    Hunger - literal hunger and hunger for love/acceptance
    rage - Rage at the reeds
    rebellion - rebelled against social norms by refusing proposal

It's also about
    love - Jane /Rochester. St John, etc.
    gender (linked it to rebellion) - jane more dominant that st john, refusing proposal.
    OH HEY! I did this one too

i based my points around jane and bertha not sure if that was the right way too interpret it though...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I did this exam (was a resit for me) and I thought it went ok, although I doubt I will get higher than my original grade. Pretty sure I went on a bit of a ramble on the Frankenstein question haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKKaur)
    OH HEY! I did this one too

i based my points around jane and bertha not sure if that was the right way too interpret it though...
    I didn't mention Bertha (only in passing)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention Bertha (only in passing)
    Haha i'm thinking i'be completely messed up in that now ahhhh

At least i didn't just mention Jane!

ReputationRep:
    Haha i'm thinking i'be completely messed up in that now ahhhh

At least i didn't just mention Jane!
    Maybe you havent what were your points?

ReputationRep:
    Getting a bit concerned seeing everyone mentioning context for yeats... I thought you just had to link it to three other poems, no context needed?!

ReputationRep:

S
    (Original post by Piguy)
    I'm actually really annoyed off at OCR for their Frankenstein questions - the real exam questions were so dull.. just 'discuss doubles', or 'do you agree frankenstein is a arrogant sexist *******' (duh?), I was hoping for a
    question that was a little more probing and required more new original thoughts. My 8 year old brother could come up of with better questions (is Frankenstein that crazy scientist?)
    I did it too And the questions were crap. What dod you do

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you havent what were your points?
    Well for Jane they were to with her treatment from her childhood- i mentioned the red room, lowood, the five locations where she endures suffering which builds up (linked to context and her position in social class) and something else i can't remember, linked in to context because of Charlotte's own life and put a critic in there as too

Bertha i wrote about her relationship with Rochester and how he locks her away... included critics here.Can't really remember what i wrote now tbh lol

Also, put language in here and there... Not feeling good at about this section!

ReputationRep:
    Well for Jane they were to with her treatment from her childhood- i mentioned the red room, lowood, the five locations where she endures suffering which builds up (linked to context and her position in social class) and something else i can't remember, linked in to context because of Charlotte's own life and put a critic in there as too

Bertha i wrote about her relationship with Rochester and how he locks her away... included critics here.Can't really remember what i wrote now tbh lol

Also, put language in here and there... Not feeling good at about this section!
    I just talked about Jane Just mentioned her hunger, rebllion and rage. Your points sound good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iridescence.)
    Getting a bit concerned seeing everyone mentioning context for yeats... I thought you just had to link it to three other poems, no context needed?!
    10 out of the 25 marks are for context, but when you link to other poems that accounts for most of it because you're contextualising his work.. But yeah you were supposed to mention a bit of context in a couple of paragraphs oh well, no use worrying now

ReputationRep:
    I think I did okay but I made such a stupid mistake in the Yeats essay! I didn't realise the quote "All that delirium of the brave" was from september 1913, and so i said it was easter 1916 and even said a bit of context about it, since they were released in the same collection.. How many marks would I lose for that?

ReputationRep:
    How many marks would I lose for not mentioning language at all in the prose section? I mentioned all the other AOs apart from structure :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Dorian Gray: question on the unpleasantness of Victorian society.

Point 1: Sybil Vane and how Dorian treats her awfully - described as a "trampled flower" - links to The Angel in the House - also theory of Male Gaze - so unpleasantness is explicit, despite the meaningful language.

Point 2: Woman at the opium den - language is straightforward and basic - reflective of the view that economically independent women had no place in society - she "vanished", making it clear that she cannot live in the callous society.

Point 3: James Vane is poor - stands out with "shabby" clothes - shouts out threatening to "kill" - disturbs the precise and luxurious description of the park and "Achilles' Statue", so again the unpleasantness and cruelness of Victorian society is not covered up by Wilde's lexical choices.

Point 4: Margaret Devereux and her "penniless young fellow" - ran away and was too "romantic" - however the rough verb "snatched by death" makes it clear that those who reject society edicts are destined to death - language does not hide the callous Victorian social values. Interesting that Margaret is only part of a digression - is Wilde refusing to let someone into the narrative who will "poison" or 'infect' the plot/narrative? Therefore Wilde is careful to illustrate the unpleasantness of society - only because these are the values that everything - literature, people - must conform to.

Conclusion: ironic that Wilde embraces and does little to hide up the unpleasant/cruel rules of Victorian society, given that he had a homosexual relationship with Boise. Although one critic said that "Wilde was trying to rebuke contemporary Britain... in his fiction", this is clearly not true. He clearly intends Victorian values to reign.

In the Second Coming, I made the point that the rough beast could be Jesus and linked this to Yeats' fear of death in The Cold Heaven. This makes the change seem scary and foreboding. I also did 3 other paragraphs on various techniques + how they convey the sense of the world changing - inevitability, fear, rapid and disorderly.

I talked about how the free verse and lack of a consistent rhyme/rhythm reflects this disorderly nature of the change - is it right to say that the rhythm is inconsistent? A few of us disagreed when we were discussing the exam...

Hope it went well for you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omar333)
    I think I did okay but I made such a stupid mistake in the Yeats essay! I didn't realise the quote "All that delirium of the brave" was from september 1913, and so i said it was easter 1916 and even said a bit of context about it, since they were released in the same collection.. How many marks would I lose for that?
    its not much about how many marks you lose its bout how many marks you gain ,you wouldn't lose a lot for that ,maybe,if youre lucky ,even nothing beause they d know you got the right idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    hahaha that made me lol neither did i :\
    me2 ,i thought it could be among school children ,easter 1916 or sep 1913 i spent a **** load of time on them, i didnt have a good idea about the poem.BTW Can we say the second coming is petrarchan sonnet which is longer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yugiohtheawesome)
    Did anyone do option B for the picture of dorian gray? I thought it was a pretty good question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was going to but I had more to say for a so I did tht one instead aha

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.