Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHJ1)
    Yep. Same. BS-ed my way through it with paragraphs on decadence, art and morality,the moral of the novel and the nature of the novel. Expecting max 3/5 on A01.

How did you tackle it?
    I spoke about those themes as well but also how there's multiple moral messages e.g. regarding class difference, beauty as a deception, women etc. I overall concluded that the novel and its morals are dangerous for Wilde in the context of his own society, but that the morals in themselves are not dangerous but rather promote growth in society. In terms of hedonism and decadence I said that Wilde makes a moral that the Victorian asceticism isn't good, but also shows that one should not go overboard, which is a moral that reaches a middle ground between the clashing cultures in Victorian society and is perhaps not as dangerous. It might sound like I wrote something sophisticated and well thought now but I bull****ted and rambled an incredible amount. I put in like 5 critics and 2 different readings though, and loads of historical context and forced in critical terminology so hopefully i'll get marks on that. AO1 however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    I spoke about those themes as well but also how there's multiple moral messages e.g. regarding class difference, beauty as a deception, women etc. I overall concluded that the novel and its morals are dangerous for Wilde in the context of his own society, but that the morals in themselves are not dangerous but rather promote growth in society. In terms of hedonism and decadence I said that Wilde makes a moral that the Victorian asceticism isn't good, but also shows that one should not go overboard, which is a moral that reaches a middle ground between the clashing cultures in Victorian society and is perhaps not as dangerous. It might sound like I wrote something sophisticated and well thought now but I bull****ted and rambled an incredible amount. I put in like 5 critics and 2 different readings though, and loads of historical context and forced in critical terminology so hopefully i'll get marks on that. AO1 however...

I'm really worried about A02 as well. Didnt put too many quotes in there. Sure I got the other 15 for 3 and 4 though. Relying on Browning essay tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHJ1)
    I'm really worried about A02 as well. Didnt put too many quotes in there. Sure I got the other 15 for 3 and 4 though. Relying on Browning essay tbh
    Same, The Lost Leader was beautiful. Managed to get plenty of comparisons, bit of historical knowledge but not too much, and a wealth of critical terminology

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who did the exam last year remember how generous (or otherwise) OCR's marking is for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlloSlayer)
    Anyone who did the exam last year remember how generous (or otherwise) OCR's marking is for the exam?
    REALLY GENEROUS! Last year, I came out with loads of doubts (did I have an argument? Did I use the most appropriate quotes? Did I put in enough critics/historical context). It was the exam I was most worried about over the summer, but forced myself to forget about it.

Results day, I got 116/120 (and 80/80 for the coursework).

I think with English Literature it's easy to come out of the exam remembering everything that went wrong, but forgetting that you MUST have done some of the AOs.

My teacher has been to the OCR meetings, and said that the chief examiner is a really nice guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    REALLY GENEROUS! Last year, I came out with loads of doubts (did I have an argument? Did I use the most appropriate quotes? Did I put in enough critics/historical context). It was the exam I was most worried about over the summer, but forced myself to forget about it.

Results day, I got 116/120 (and 80/80 for the coursework).

I think with English Literature it's easy to come out of the exam remembering everything that went wrong, but forgetting that you MUST have done some of the AOs.

My teacher has been to the OCR meetings, and said that the chief examiner is a really nice guy
    That's amazing. I managed to get 40/40 on coursework (pre exam board moderation) and I'd be absolutely amazed and exhilarated to get anything even close to 116/120 for the exam! I felt poetry went well but prose was just a big ramble and loads of circumlocution

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

For the Coursework section, the specification states: "Candidates are required to produce a folder of coursework of a maximum of 3000 words with two tasks."

Does anyone know how strictly this is enforced? Are you allowed 10% over etc.?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mills98)
    Hello all,

For the Coursework section, the specification states: "Candidates are required to produce a folder of coursework of a maximum of 3000 words with two tasks."

Does anyone know how strictly this is enforced? Are you allowed 10% over etc.?

Thanks in advance.
    nope, read the examiner reports, there's a strict cut-off and any more than that will be cut off at 3000 (but I suppose that 1 word over won't really matter haha)

ReputationRep:
    So answered part a for Dorian Gray 'the picture of Dorian gray provides attraction and danger of a double life' how far and what ways do you agree. I am really worried because I agreed and disagreed to provide danger and attraction seperatly. I didn't agree or disagree to it a whole statement. Is this correct? So I said Dorian advocates danger of it but also attraction as he gets away with Basil's murder ect. Then I said lord Henry's wife proved attraction as she 'never knew where lord Henry was', but how Sybil causes danger because as sooner her double life stopped (acting Juliet and rosa line) it caused danger as Dorian no longer loved her. I am really worried I didn't answer the question properly. Any opinions?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.