Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Thanks!

How do we go about getting contextual points in each paragraph? (It evidently would be a good idea to do this.) I assume they still have to be relevant, which makes it trickier - is information regarding Wilde's life and points of view sufficient to get context marks? Would a reference to other writers or novels of the time - and links between them and 'Dorian Gray' - get AO4 marks, or is that in the realm of AO3?
    AO4, in relation to the poet's or author's life, need to be learnt off as simple facts. For example, I have learnt that in 1815 Mary Shelly (Author of Frankenstein) had a miscarriage. Why is that significant? Well, it is significant in terms of parental responsibilities in the novel and it is also relevant due to the fact that Victor has difficulty in creating the monster.

That above example is underdeveloped, I would need to write a whole essay to explain; but you get the idea. You need to have a bank of facts which can link into the poems or the novel and then you will be able to easily integrate them into the essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralStudent95)
    AO4, in relation to the poet's or author's life, need to be learnt off as simple facts. For example, I have learnt that in 1815 Mary Shelly (Author of Frankenstein) had a miscarriage. Why is that significant? Well, it is significant in terms of parental responsibilities in the novel and it is also relevant due to the fact that Victor has difficulty in creating the monster.

That above example is underdeveloped, I would need to write a whole essay to explain; but you get the idea. You need to have a bank of facts which can link into the poems or the novel and then you will be able to easily integrate them into the essay.
    Where are you getting example essay questions from? Besides just those available in past papers (in order to do more than 4-5 practice essays) ...

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me the OCR Jan 2013 and questions for Yeats and Frankenstein? cant seem to find them on the website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathryn007)
    Can anyone tell me the OCR Jan 2013 and questions for Yeats and Frankenstein? cant seem to find them on the website
    Yeats was on Broken Dreams and the question was on change.

Frankenstein first question was on the relationship between creator and creation and second question was on the interior and exterior landscapes

ReputationRep:
    Yeats was on Broken Dreams and the question was on change.

Frankenstein first question was on the relationship between creator and creation and second question was on the interior and exterior landscapes
    Thankyou very much! thankgod broken dreams wont come up.. hated that poem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathryn007)
    Thankyou very much! thankgod broken dreams wont come up.. hated that poem.
    Ha, what do you hope comes up? I am hoping for Lead & Swan, cold heaven or a political one

ReputationRep:
    Ha, what do you hope comes up? I am hoping for Lead & Swan, cold heaven or a political one
    Cold heaven and Among School Children are my favourite and i think the political ones are best for having plenty to talk about but i think it will be one of the longer poems, Leda and the Swan is quite short for them to ask a question on... i did it first time round in June 2012 when it was Wild Swans at Coole, that wasnt too bad

ReputationRep:
    Guys who have already done the exam. What are effective ways to revise for the exams.

Both the poetry and prose revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victorazubuike)
    Guys who have already done the exam. What are effective ways to revise for the exams.

Both the poetry and prose revision.
    I found for frankenstein the best thing to do was search essays online about different themes in the text then create mind maps with some of the ideas you have and some in the essays, including relevant quotations and ao2 points.. This covers all the AOs for each theme.
    For Yeats poetry I just printed off more copies of the poems and did as much annotations on each poem as I could without my notes.
    hope this gives you some revision ideas!

ReputationRep:
    Any here doing secret agent I need so much help

ReputationRep:
    How many quotes should we be learning roughly for the novel? And particularly for each theme and character...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    How many quotes should we be learning roughly for the novel? And particularly for each theme and character...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A sizeable amount. Essays need to be littered with relevant quotes embedded into the discussion. Examiner reports said most people fail to do this or they learn really long quotes; learn short snappy ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    I done it last year with Dorian Gray and Edward Thomas poetry. Stick to the structure of A01, A02, A03,A04 then finish off the paragraph with A01 linking back to the question. Examiners like this and I got an 'A' with this structure. Memorise quotes in you're prose for 5 per theme then some character quotes at least. Poetry is quite straightforward make sure you can cross compare (similarities and differences within the collection) because that also counts as A03. You'll have the poem printed also unlike A2. On critics we were told to research them and I would recommend it but if you get stuck make up a name and quite something controversial that you can really debate with. The examiner won't know given their are various sources of critical literature. Really pinpoint your A04 don't just give general context too and say how it influenced the poetry/prose. Try and be original...to an extent, as long as you can support it. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there, i'm also stuyding English lit and we've not been taught structure yet, this sounds really good though. Can you explain in perhaps more detail how to use your structure with the novel and with prose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    Hi there, i'm also stuyding English lit and we've not been taught structure yet, this sounds really good though. Can you explain in perhaps more detail how to use your structure with the novel and with prose.
    I'm not sure how much for detailed I can make it lol. Erm an example from a contemporary book which everyone knows would be: A01: Harry is a coward in The Philosophers Stone when he allows Ron and Hermoine to enter the chess room for moral support and help A02: "please...please help me" the stutter show his indecisiveness and the repetition of "please" reinforces his need and cowardice. A03: Alternatively critic Jim Jones argues "Harry was the bravest character in the novel balancing intelligence and courage" one can agree with this view because...however one can disagree because. A04: the cowardice of Harry was perhaps inspired by J.K rowlings younger brother who acted brave when deep down he was fearful and timid. Obviously that isn't real it's made up, but that is how a paragraph should generally be structured. I couldn't think of any other texts really that are well known enough. Does that help a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am also revising for this exam, doing Yeats and Jane Eyre.
    I think the best way to revise is to do timed essay questions.
    Also about the critics- I don't know if I am stating the obvious but commenting about feminist/marxist/post colonialist/psychoanalytic etc readings and interpretations of the novel counts, and I find it easier to than than using critics (but of course you must do both)
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Nour-)
    Hello!
    I am also revising for this exam, doing Yeats and Jane Eyre.
    I think the best way to revise is to do timed essay questions.
    Also about the critics- I don't know if I am stating the obvious but commenting about feminist/marxist/post colonialist/psychoanalytic etc readings and interpretations of the novel counts, and I find it easier to than than using critics (but of course you must do both)
    Hope this helps!
    Yes, mentioning Marxism, Feminism, Freud etc fulfils the requirements for AO3

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mentioning Marxism, Feminism, Freud etc fulfils the requirements for AO3
    hey you seem to be very helpful on this thread I don't know if you have studied Jane Eyre or not but could you possibly link some critical reading's of Jane Eyre in order to fulfil AO3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    hey you seem to be very helpful on this thread I don't know if you have studied Jane Eyre or not but could you possibly link some critical reading's of Jane Eyre in order to fulfil AO3
    Hey,

No I am doing Frankenstein and Yeats this June. We were fortune our teacher gave us a book with several essays by top critics on Frankenstein; a book edited by Fred Botting. Not sure if there is something similar for your set text, otherwise, York notes has some worthwhile quotes from ctitics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am also doing Yeats and Jane Eyre. The thing I struggle with is writing the essays. I understand the ideas and can generally remember quotes and ideas but I just can't seem to get it down onto the paper. Does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsjustsophie)
    I am also doing Yeats and Jane Eyre. The thing I struggle with is writing the essays. I understand the ideas and can generally remember quotes and ideas but I just can't seem to get it down onto the paper. Does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you looked at exemplar scripts and sample answers? They should help you and give you some ideas on how to approach a question. The OCR website has some exemplar scripts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.