Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, as it is one of the UK's leading universities for economics, it's reasonable to assume that the general academic standard of applicants is vey high at Warwick. So my question is this: 'Where would I stand, with A-level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business Studies (a poor selection, I know) in terms of my likely hood of receiving an offer, were I to apply?' Do Warwick care much about additional interests/achievements/qualifications such as (relevant) EPQ's? Would it be beneficial to my application to create an economics related website (I've taught myself to program, and I'm looking for an excuse to use it)? Do they care much about the passion shown for your chosen subject, in your personal statement?

Many thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JRChapman)
    Obviously, as it is one of the UK's leading universities for economics, it's reasonable to assume that the general academic standard of applicants is vey high at Warwick. So my question is this: 'Where would I stand, with A-level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business Studies (a poor selection, I know) in terms of my likely hood of receiving an offer, were I to apply?' Do Warwick care much about additional interests/achievements/qualifications such as (relevant) EPQ's? Would it be beneficial to my application to create an economics related website (I've taught myself to program, and I'm looking for an excuse to use it)? Do they care much about the passion shown for your chosen subject, in your personal statement?

Many thanks
    You're right about the academic standard of Warwick economics student being high! I'm a maths student at Warwick, however I have a fair few friends who do economics and they all have very good A levels and are very intelligent.

Your A levels are fine, but drop business studies after AS, or continue it to A2, just don't drop any of the others. If you get good ASs and have a good personal statement there's no reason you can't get an offer, or would be disadvantaged at all.

I feel it all comes down to luck a little in the end, I have a friend (the year below me) who applied for economics at Warwick this year and got rejected, he has 5As at AS, the same subjects as you, + chemistry. He didn't have a bad personal statement, but I couldn't see what many people could have had to have topped his.

I'm just saying that it's always worth applying, but you never know how it will turn out, if you get 4As at AS there is no reason you can't get an offer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.