The Student Room Group

David Milliband to step down as MP

The brother of the Labour leader has announced plans to step out of his MP role in favour of working as a head of a US charity.

Rescue responds "the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives." It's estimated to be operating in around 40 countries currently.

Reasoning why seems to be based around wanting "to step back" from front-line politics to avoid "the daily soap opera" that arose from him working alongside his brother.

His decision will lead to a by-election in South Shields, where he has been MP since 2001.

Personally, I say good on him.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/26/david-miliband-step-down-mp

The charity: http://www.rescue.org/
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

He's signed Labour's death warrant.
Reply 2
"It's sure to lead to some jokes... Dave, who used to be known as "Brains", now gets to work for International Rescue".

I admit, I laughed a little when they said that on TV.
It's a very strong Labour seat, so we wont get a huge amount of information about the effect on the Coalition parties. If Labour don't secure an increased majority by a significant amount, then I think some eyebrows may rise. It'll also be interesting to see if UKIP run a candidate and how well they'd do, seeing as they haven't had a candidate in South Shields since 2001 (And took 2% of the vote).
Reply 4
Original post by The Mad Dog
He's signed Labour's death warrant.

How? It's not like he was doing much from the backbenches apart from sending a load of reactionaries into the "OMG he's better than Ed" chorus every time he spoke.
Reply 5
Maybe if Ed follows him, the Milliband Brothers of International Rescue will replace the Tracey Brothers :biggrin:
Original post by CLS94
How? It's not like he was doing much from the backbenches apart from sending a load of reactionaries into the "OMG he's better than Ed" chorus every time he spoke.

He wasn't doing much from the backbenches however the hope he'd fight his useless brother was a nice thought. It'll be interesting to see who else gets the job when Ed's career inevitably collapses.
Reply 7
Original post by The Mad Dog
He wasn't doing much from the backbenches however the hope he'd fight his useless brother was a nice thought. It'll be interesting to see who else gets the job when Ed's career inevitably collapses.

He'd be even worse though, he's a New Labourite to Ed's right. The only thing to gain from Labour infighting between a couple of equally useless centrists it a Tory Government: we need pressure from the left, not media-friendly neo-liberal numpties.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe if Ed follows him, the Milliband Brothers of International Rescue will replace the Tracey Brothers :biggrin:

Will they have a swimming pool that moves to one side revealing an underground rocket launchpad?
Reply 9
Original post by thunder_chunky
Will they have a swimming pool that moves to one side revealing an underground rocket launchpad?

Yaaay the reference didn't go missed
Original post by Skip_Snip
Yaaay the reference didn't go missed

I watched it as a kid and I remember the countless times on Blue Peter they made a Tracey Island out of a fairy liquid bottle, sticky back plastic and God knows what else.
:frown:
Reply 12
another career politician bites the dust, what a shame :frown:
The next Labour Prime Minister that never was.
I'll miss him. One of the few politicians I liked.
good riddance to Blairite trash.
Reply 16
Nice to see him deciding to work in charity.
Good for him. If I was offered to work in a big American firm, especially one that is based in New York I know I'd take it. I wouldn't hesitate to leave this cesspool of a nation with a crippled economy, high immigration and a universally despied press.
Reply 18
He's an MP for a party led by a man who stepped on his own brother and supposedly never even informed him that he was running. I'm not suprised he's resentful and wants to leave.

I wish him well, he was probably the true heir to Blair so to speak and would have been a much bigger threat to the Tories than Ed.
Reply 19
Bet the Trade Unions wouldn't be so unhappy at him going. Some sections of the media have compared him to Al Gore....
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending