The Student Room Group

A level chemistry or Latin?

Hey guys, I'm deciding my a levels, so far I've got maths, further maths and physics; I just can't decide whether chemistry or Latin would be a better fourth option.

I find Latin easier and think that I would be more likely to take it to A2 than chemistry and would probably do better.

I'm looking to do maths, engineering (maybe... Maybe finance) at university. I have no desire to do medicine or chemistry, so I can't see a lack of chemistry being a problem.

However Latin does not fit in with the sciences, and is completely irrelevant to anything I would do in the future. At least chemistry would link in vaguely with my other options.

(I'm predicted A* in both at GCSE.)

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry will be more useful
Reply 2
You have chosen the required subjects for the degree options you're considering.

Personally i think it would be better to pick the subject you think you will enjoy more and therefore get a better grade in. From what you've posted, this sounds like latin.

Also latin might give you a nice break from maths and science and may also show [unis] that you're not a one trek pony. So if you're sure you don't want to go into chemical engineering, i'd say latin. :smile:

I'm assuming you'd drop whichever you pick after AS?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
chemistry would be much more useful, however the step up from Chemistry GCSE to A Level is massive. Choose wisely :tongue:
Thanks guys, I've decided to go with chemistry, because it keeps more options open and can act as a "second science" required by some universities.

Quick Reply

Latest