Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello all.

Prior to becoming sexually active I was put on microgynon 30 when I was about 15 for regulating my periods, so I could correctly medicate on mefenamic acid to reduce really painful periods. This worked really quite well and was very handy when I became sexually active. I came off it when I was 18 because I had no boyfriend/sex life and forgot to take my pills the whole time anyway.

A few months of no contraception I decided to get the Mirena coil fitted because I wouldn't have to remember taking a pill every day but I'd still be covered against pregnancy. Since then (April 2011) I have gained about 1 and 1/2 stone and suffer from random, severe abdominal cramping. I also get pain during and after sex on occasion. I get my period maybe once every 3 or 4 months with no cramping. Go figure.

I'm thinking of getting it taken out and going back to microgynon 30 once my cycle returns to normal and I've got my weight under control. I didn't really realise any of these symptoms might be related to the coil until recently. I'm quite ambivalent about it all because removal/insertion procedures are pretty painful. My insertion upset my body for a while after so it's not a decision to be taken lightly.

Anyone got any advice or been through anything similar?

Hello.I am just about to have my 3rd consecutive Mirena coil fitted. I`m in my 40`s. Have a long,hard think about it. Personally, I think it`s the best thing since sliced bread.! It`s in there, and then I can forget all about it for 5 years.!!! As for the weight gain.I know what you mean. I suppose the option would be to try and lose weight to compensate for the extra the coil has made you put on. I`ve been overweight for years now anyway, but I understand for many women it is an important issue. Contraceptive wise, for me personally, it`s the very best that`s out there.!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.