Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I've grown the balls, now what? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been interested in this girl at my school for about 4 years now, we are both 18. It started with me just admiring her from afar but my dream came true when we were sat next to each other in one of our lessons and over the next year I got to know her and now two years later Iwould now happily call her one of my best friends.

She has know for a long time how I feel about her but I've never known how she feels back or acted on my feeling because I knew she didn't want a boyfriend at the time or I was too scared due to lack of experience.

She is always saying things in a jokey way like "I'm the only man for her" or that I'll protect her from the slightly pervy, touchy-feely new guy that started at our school but I've never understood if these had a bit of truth to them or they she was just playing off a factor of our relationship like you would with another friend.

She was at my birthday party last week and she gave me quite a special present from her, she normally hates physical contact with guys (hence not liking the touchy-feely guy) but she gave me a birthday hug saying that it was a one off for my birthday and not to expect it again. My problem with this is that (probably due to my inexperience) I've always understood that one of the things you need to start and further a relationship the physical contact but that here clearly isn't an option and I don't know enough to get around that problem.

Also one of the major things that is preventing me from even just asking if she wants to go to the cinema is that she has one of those friends that is really loud and obnoxious and would make a massive deal about me finally getting around to asking her out after all these years, especially if she says no. I'm not totally sure I could deal with that.

Basically, I've decided to grow some balls, we've only got 3 months before we leave school after which I'll likely never see her again unless I do something about it.

So my questions are:

How do I get around the uncomfortable with guy contact thing
    The signs, what do they means
    How do I deal with her friend
    Is there a way I can find out what her feelings are towards me without asking her directly
    How do I even go about asking her out
    Do you have any better suggestions than the cinema that aren't too cheesy

I'm sorry that there is so much waffle but please, answering 1 or all the questions would do me a massive favour

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Your answer is simple, just ask her. Ignore her friend or any stick you get.

Just when you are with her, if it feels right, just ask her. It's worth the risk, it's what you want. Just ask her to the cinema, to see something or just to meet and do something nice together. See how she responds. Just drop it into conversation, it don't have to be no big deal.

You will kick yourself in future if you don't take this opportunity and it flies away - especially if you don't do it on the basis of her friend.

At some point, you've just got to learn to not give a toss about what anyone else thinks or says and just pursue your dreams and what you want.

Just do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by will2348)
    Your answer is simple, just ask her. Ignore her friend or any stick you get.

Just when you are with her, if it feels right, just ask her. It's worth the risk, it's what you want. Just ask her to the cinema, to see something or just to meet and do something nice together. See how she responds. Just drop it into conversation, it don't have to be no big deal.

You will kick yourself in future if you don't take this opportunity and it flies away - especially if you don't do it on the basis of her friend.

At some point, you've just got to learn to not give a toss about what anyone else thinks or says and just pursue your dreams and what you want.

Just do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This, ask her, otherwise you won't know.

ReputationRep:
    When she is talking to you lick her ear, then the physical contact barrier will be well and truely knocked down. It'll be plain sailing from there and she will be your girlfriend in no time, honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    When she is talking to you lick her ear, then the physical contact barrier will be well and truely knocked down. It'll be plain sailing from there and she will be your girlfriend in no time, honest.
    As a female I can confirm this is what we like. This guy knows how to treat the ladies.

But seriously just ask her out, like you said you only have a few months left so who gives a damn if her loudmouth friend is gonna tell the whole world about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jesus h christ. 4 years in the friendzone?!

Yeah ask her out as a last hope but the chances of her accepting it/seeing it as anything other than friendly are extremely slim.

ReputationRep:
    In the same position here. The moves, they must be made. Personally I'm planning to take the plunge very soon - hopefully this week. If I get a knockback I'll feel pretty dumb, but hell, it's better than going off to uni wondering what could've happened. See how it goes I suppose.

Also, for the benefit of my friend who knows my username and can see my posts; I will really really hurt you if you release this information. Full chinese burn potential, no japes.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask her. You'll be done with school in a few months anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.