Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0j012)
    Hey I have also got an offer from Edinburgh. I was wondering if anyone can advise on what type of clothes girls wear for the first day if uni? And during lectures etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really depends on the person. It can vary from pyjama bottoms/joggies and a hoodie to girls turning up in skinny jeans and heels. I was at Edinburgh for 3 months last year but decided to defer and travel until this September and found myself in joggies/leggings and a hoodie most days as lecture theatres are usually freezing and you can sometimes have 3 or 4 lectures in a row so that's 4 hours of sitting - so you want to be comfy

ReputationRep:
    can someone please tell me why so many recently turned 17 year olds will be at university, surely no english students this young will be attending freshers week at such a young age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annamarie1994)
    can someone please tell me why so many recently turned 17 year olds will be at university, surely no english students this young will be attending freshers week at such a young age?
    I'm not quite sure how it works but I'm from Scotland and I've only just turned 17

ReputationRep:
    Its cause england has 2 6th or final years and we only have one in scotland.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB526

ReputationRep:
    The clue's in the location of Edinburgh

I.e: NOT in England!

ReputationRep:
    In Scotland we do our highers (the exams wanted by unis) in our penultimate year rather than our last so you don't really need to sit the last year at school and some (like me) leave after 5th year instead of 6th most people leaving after 6th year will turn 18 just before or just after starting uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyR)
    In Scotland we do our highers (the exams wanted by unis) in our penultimate year rather than our last so you don't really need to sit the last year at school and some (like me) leave after 5th year instead of 6th most people leaving after 6th year will turn 18 just before or just after starting uni
    Yeah, this is what I'm doing-I left after S5 so I'll turn 17 just days before freshers week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else not 18 for quite a while still? e.g. February like me? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSarah9x)
    Anyone else not 18 for quite a while still? e.g. February like me? :/
    I'll be 18 the August after 1st year/before 2nd year :/

ReputationRep:
    During my freshers I bought a wristband and all the while I had that on I wasn't asked for ID. I was over 18 but I suppose they weren't to know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How are people only just seventeen when they start their course? Did you guys skip a year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    How are people only just seventeen when they start their course? Did you guys skip a year or something?
    Scottish students are made offers based on Highers - sat in fifth year (the second last year of school). That means that it's possible to apply during the second last year of school and be made an offer.

It's not compulsory to stay in school past the age of sixteen, which mean that you can apply, get made an offer and leave school a year early to go to university. It's not as common as applying from sixth year, but people still do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoNerd)
    Scottish students are made offers based on Highers - sat in fifth year (the second last year of school). That means that it's possible to apply during the second last year of school and be made an offer.

It's not compulsory to stay in school past the age of sixteen, which mean that you can apply, get made an offer and leave school a year early to go to university. It's not as common as applying from sixth year, but people still do it.
    Ah, that makes sense. I heard that sometimes, if you do the right Advanced Highers, you can enter from sixth year straight into the second year of a degree course? Apparently it's rare, though.

ReputationRep:
    How did you get to this thread but manage to avoid the discussion about this directly above your post? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    How did you get to this thread but manage to avoid the discussion about this directly above your post? :rolleyes:
    *shrugs* I read down the first page, and when it wasn't on there, posted. I have the attention span of a goldfish.

ReputationRep:
    How do you think, is the entry card for Freshers week (40ponds) worth buying? I mean, there is not really written what it includes, but 40 ponds is not that little. . .

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Scotland, but I'm also the youngest in my year. I left after 5th year (my 2nd last year) and also took a year out otherwise I would have been going to uni at 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyR)
    I'll be 18 the August after 1st year/before 2nd year :/
    Finally! You're actually the first person I've come across that's as young as or younger than me! Which accommodation are you staying at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSarah9x)
    Finally! You're actually the first person I've come across that's as young as or younger than me! Which accommodation are you staying at?
    Not got my offer yet but I've applied to New Arthur Place, College Wynd and South Clerk Street you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoNerd)

This is also why Scottish universitys have 4 year degrees. The first year is usually broad based and designed to bring the students up to A level standard. English students with good A levels can skip this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.