The Student Room Group

iPad 4 vs Nexus 10

Poll

iPad or Nexus 10

So I am really torn between these two tbh. I love android on phones and have had a Galaxy S2 and currently use a Galaxy S3. I want a tablet so badly now, but I just can't decide.

The main reasons for getting an iPad: Beautiful retina display, great battery life, tablet optimised apps, great graphics performance and there are a lot of games I'd be interested in buying that won't be ported to Android and the OS is polished and slick. I'd also stick Sky Go on there so I can re-root my S3 and play around with it.

Cons: Lack of customisation and freedom compared to android, not a 16:10 aspect ratio which could be annoying when watching videos and the fact you can't just drag and drop media onto the tablet. Also lack of a certain streaming app which is android only (see below).

Reasons for getting the Nexus 10: Nice build quality in terms of the rubbery back (better for grip), two front facing speakers, 2560 x 1600 resolution (though I have heard the colour calibration isn't great), fairly good performance, the fact there is a back button (I don't know how I'd cope without one on iOS lol),16:10 aspect ratio which is good for media consumption, customisable, alternate app stores, plus there's a fantastic app for streaming TV shows and movies that is currently android only which I absolutely love on my phone. That + Netflix would be perfection. PM me if you want the name of it. Ability to drag and drop media and it can play without conversion. Google apps are better on android.

Cons: Smaller battery and pretty ordinary battery life compared to the iPad (the screen resolution eats up a lot of power), a little bit of lag (I accept android will lag, even a little despite 'project butter' on Jellybean), though I doubt this will be an issue. Lack of apps optimised to take advantage of the amazing screen etc... Lack of games compared to iOS, worse graphics performance. Only goes up to 32GB and I'm not sure if I'll need more? Lack of Sky Go.

Whilst it would be nice to save a bit of money and get the Nexus, I want something that will satisfy my needs and leave me happy. What do you guys think?
PM me the name of the streaming app for android. I stream online using flash on my S3 but having an app would be more efficient.

I would choose an iPad. Any other tablet is guaranteed lag and if it starts with a little lag it will eventually get worse and end up like most netbooks after one year. Just stream videos onto your phone if you want to or use a laptop. Or if you know anyone who has bought almost all paid apps in the top 250 on apple and has bought thousands of songs, videos, tv shows then it is a simple matter of logging into their account on iTunes, going into their purchased items and installing them all free or you can download then onto a computer and put them onto your iTunes free and put them onto your iPad.

It's also better to have a bit of both android and apple because then this give you a wider range of features apps etc.

I have an S3 and a 64GB iPod and I prefer the mixture of software.
Reply 2
Original post by sheldorbaggins
PM me the name of the streaming app for android. I stream online using flash on my S3 but having an app would be more efficient.

I would choose an iPad. Any other tablet is guaranteed lag and if it starts with a little lag it will eventually get worse and end up like most netbooks after one year. Just stream videos onto your phone if you want to or use a laptop. Or if you know anyone who has bought almost all paid apps in the top 250 on apple and has bought thousands of songs, videos, tv shows then it is a simple matter of logging into their account on iTunes, going into their purchased items and installing them all free or you can download then onto a computer and put them onto your iTunes free and put them onto your iPad.

It's also better to have a bit of both android and apple because then this give you a wider range of features apps etc.

I have an S3 and a 64GB iPod and I prefer the mixture of software.

I'm not sure about your lag point tbh, it can be alleviated a little with a software update. I don't know many people that have paid apps on their iPads, cheap skates that they are :tongue: Still torn. Interesting to see what the poll says maybe in a few days.
Reply 3
Bump :redface:
Original post by Karma Charger
Bump :redface:

The key consideration is what you're going to be doing most with it. If you're going to be an app heavy user first and foremost, as you've identified iOS offers a much larger collection of tablet applications that are properly optimised to make use of the retina display. For media consumption, the Nexus 10 has a similarly high quality display in the desired aspect ratio and better speakers (Although I would personally say drop the £80 savings compared to an iPad into a pair of headphones if sound quality is a major concern). Interfaces are all well and good, but when you're spending all of your time in full screen apps rather than checking widgets and the like as you would with a smartphone, I'd personally put less focus on UI and more on the more desired functionality.
Even though I completely ship Android and daren't purchase an iPhone, I don't quite think Android is where it should be in regards to tablets.

If you MUST get a tablet, then get the iPad.
Reply 6
Original post by overskrill
Even though I completely ship Android and daren't purchase an iPhone, I don't quite think Android is where it should be in regards to tablets.

Agreed to an extent. It's just baffling how slowly the Android tablet app market is catching up to hardware. The iPad has a much better tablet experience but god damn that Apple tax.
Reply 7
You are right about the apps and the headphones. I only have one home screen on my phone with one widget and the rest are just folders anyway, so I guess it won't be an issue on an iPad. It's just a case of aspect ratio and the streaming app. I may even buy a £50 iTunes voucher and just buy lots of movies. Do you have either, out of interest? :holmes:

Original post by overskrill

I think I'm leaning that way, but the poll suggests I shouldn't :lol:

Original post by tooosh
Agreed to an extent. It's just baffling how slowly the Android tablet app market is catching up to hardware. The iPad has a much better tablet experience but god damn that Apple tax.

I think it was Google just told developers to scale up mobile apps at first because of the sheer number of different tablets. They're trying to rectify that though. Could be wrong however! £400 for a Nexus 10 isn't cheap though.
Reply 8
I have a nexus 10 its amazing. Much brtter than the iPad in every respect. Flash is amazing...
I'd get an ipad every time. Better tablet specific apps, better app store in terms of media. Better performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to revive the thread. Is it waiting for the next gen iPad/next gen Nexus 7? :holmes: Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending