Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    Bit of background info... I completed my A Levels last year and didn't get the grades to do the careers I had in mind. I decided from the start to have a gap year to decide what career I want to do. In November I panicked as my parents wanted me to apply so I stupidly applied to do Social Work...I have since then gone on to gain a place at university but I no longer want to attend there and will be informing them soon. After sitting and having a proper think I have decided that Primary Teaching QTS is definitely what I want to do now after thinking of other careers, this one just seems to have a place in my heart and I can see myself teaching.

    My questions are, if I start the Access course in September can this lead on to Primary Teaching QTS within most universities? Will I have time to gain classroom experience say 1-2 days a week while doing this course and hoping to have a weekend job too? As you can see I am stressing myself out for no reason but I really want to get things right this time. Also... if I decline the university that has offered me a place, can I apply for 2014 to the same one without getting the 'well we offered you a place last year...' type of thing???

    Sorry for the essay...lol x

    Its highly unlikely that a Uni you applied to last time will offer you a place if nothing has actually changed - ie. no better grades or no practical experience to make up for poor grades. This website explains the various routes into teaching http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options.aspx

    Access courses are usually designed for Mature students who dont have or didnt do exams like A levels. They are designed to reintroduce study and learning to people who have usually been out of education for many years.

    A Foundation course is probably a better fit for someone who only did A levels 12 months ago. Go to www.whatuni.com Enter Education or Teaching as a subject and select Foundation from the 'Degrees' drop down. You'll have to contact Universities individually to see what they will accept for admission and whether this gives you auto-entry to a Teaching degree. Or of course you can do a conventional degree in a named subject (English, Maths, Geography etc) and do a post-grad PGCE course on top.


    Just thought I'd add that I did an access course last year before starting university this year to study Primary teaching. I'm 23 and previously completely a Child Care diploma a few years ago but didn't have a good enough grade for when I eventually decided to go to uni. One of my friends was 19 when she started the access course so it is not only for mature students, it is just another route, but very intense and demanding as it's the equivelant of 3 a levels in 1 year. As part of my access course, we were required to do a placement for an assignment so that's where you would get your experience & I was quite easily able to work 2 days a week along side.

    You will however have to check that whatever university you want to go to accepts the course but I think most do. All the ones I applied to did anyway (Brighton, Chichester, Bristol & Canterbury). Also, the university shouldn't have that attitude, lots of people have changes of circumstances.

    Hope this helps & Good luck!
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.