Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have been at UCL for 6 months now, and as one would expect, the question of what to do for accommodation next year is one which has cropped up recently. Although I get on with people on my course and I have made a few good friends, apart from one particular person I wouldn't say I am particularly close to anyone else on my course, as my social life revolves far more around friends I had before university who I know through regularly attending concerts (or gigs) - in fact one of my best friends puts on his own shows! Metal and hardcore music is pretty much my life; perhaps it gets in the way of making the most out of being a student idk. My plan originally was to rent out accommodation in my second year with a good friend I'd made from uni, something we had discussed maybe a couple times, but not at great length or that seriously, but it turns out that he had forgotten this conversation and has made arrangements with other people.

Although I haven't spoken to enough people, a lot have already organised accommodation and so, when it comes to the option of sharing with people on my course, seems to be less of an option at this stage. I've told my non-uni friend about this and he suggests (as he had proposed earlier in the year) that me and another non-uni friend (gig attender) rent out a place together.

Here is my dilemma. I'm not entirely sure whether sharing with people who have no connection to my uni is a good idea, as I really do want to get the most out of going to uni socially (I haven't really so far, relying a lot on my old friends, and they all live in London) and I don't know whether living with these guys is the best option - plus I doubt my parents wouldn't particularly like the idea of living with "wasters" as opposed to people from my uni, although in the last year they have become great friends and I feel very comfortable with them. There is the option of living at home, but I'm not really sure about that, as it takes an hour or so by train to get to uni, plus I have enjoyed being away from home this year.

Sorry if I haven't explained myself as well as I could, but would really appreciate the advice.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is that you keep your old friends but take the plunge and move in with course mates.
    I just think that it would be better for you to be a bit more social at university - it's all part of the experience and you shouldn't miss out!
    Your old friends will still be there whether you live together or not!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.