Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I need advice regarding teaching career. I have masters in HRM from University of Birmingham. I have tried getting jobs within my field but its so hard and competitive and there are very few jobs in HR where I live. And even I do apply, they say I have lack of experience within my field which is true. How do they expect me to get experience when they bloody wont recruit me!!?? Pardon my language... I have CIPD and degree from prestigious uni.
    During my academic years, my part time job was Assistant in Kumon, helping and assisting students with their work.

I am now considering a secondary pgce within business education as I have bachelors in business management . Perhaps my not getting a Job in cooperate environment is not made for me, maybe teaching is made for me as I have worked around 5/6 years in Kumon.

I am seeking distance or online learning pgce within one year. Three years are too long. But there are hardly any online pgce within 12 months.

What are the alternatives to PGCE? How else can I approach teaching career within my field?! I am married and expecting hence can't travel or move to new location.

Advice and help would be great!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roseaal)
    Hi

I need advice regarding teaching career. I have masters in HRM from University of Birmingham. I have tried getting jobs within my field but its so hard and competitive and there are very few jobs in HR where I live. And even I do apply, they say I have lack of experience within my field which is true. How do they expect me to get experience when they bloody wont recruit me!!?? Pardon my language... I have CIPD and degree from prestigious uni.
    During my academic years, my part time job was Assistant in Kumon, helping and assisting students with their work.

I am now considering a secondary pgce within business education as I have bachelors in business management . Perhaps my not getting a Job in cooperate environment is not made for me, maybe teaching is made for me as I have worked around 5/6 years in Kumon.

I am seeking distance or online learning pgce within one year. Three years are too long. But there are hardly any online pgce within 12 months.

What are the alternatives to PGCE? How else can I approach teaching career within my field?! I am married and expecting hence can't travel or move to new location.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where exactly is it that you live? Are there no universities there that offer PGCE?
    Teaching requires dedication and is a very demanding career. You will need to gain experience in a classroom in order to find out whether it is for you and to get the necessary experience to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you looked into open university? They do a PGCE course, but you have to arrange your own placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Where exactly is it that you live? Are there no universities there that offer PGCE?
    Teaching requires dedication and is a very demanding career. You will need to gain experience in a classroom in order to find out whether it is for you and to get the necessary experience to apply.
    I am hardworking and dedicated student. I live in Ipswich and no local uni are providing PGCE business. Does getting experience mean I can get into teaching directly and gain teaching license?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Have you looked into open university? They do a PGCE course, but you have to arrange your own placements.
    I looked at that too but open university are not considered that good when it comes to academic in terms of ranking. I rather not waste money on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I looked at that too but open university are not considered that good when it comes to academic in terms of ranking. I rather not waste money on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No one will care where your PGCE comes from, University ranking don't matter. The only thing that matters is if the course suits you and if you can get placements that suit you

ReputationRep:
    I am hardworking and dedicated student. I live in Ipswich and no local uni are providing PGCE business. Does getting experience mean I can get into teaching directly and gain teaching license?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I live near Ipswich. I did my PGCE in Norwich while living at home. The commute was about an hour and a quarter so not too bad. Probably less if you get the train. My placements were in Ipswich and kesgrave which helped balance that out. I would look at UEA if I were you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, but you will need experience in a classroom to apply fir a pgce. The advice you have been given about the open university is good, you should listen to it. Nobody will care where your pgce is from, as rankings don't matter for postgrad teaching.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I live in Felixstowe - I applied for the Ipswich SCITT and i applied for the Norwich PGCE.. which is where i am going in september. You will need to gain experience to get on the PGCE or SCITT.. but you need to do one of the courses before you become a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicefayle)
    I live in Felixstowe - I applied for the Ipswich SCITT and i applied for the Norwich PGCE.. which is where i am going in september. You will need to gain experience to get on the PGCE or SCITT.. but you need to do one of the courses before you become a teacher.
    I teach in Felixstowe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tthwma)
    No one will care where your PGCE comes from, University ranking don't matter. The only thing that matters is if the course suits you and if you can get placements that suit you

It looks that Way but I know someone who gained pgce from open uni and isn't happy where he is at the moment. Yes, he is in teaching but its not allowing him to progress further. However I know someone else too who did their pgce through Warwick and is now head of faculty within two years of their career. Obviously university matters too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I live near Ipswich. I did my PGCE in Norwich while living at home. The commute was about an hour and a quarter so not too bad. Probably less if you get the train. My placements were in Ipswich and kesgrave which helped balance that out. I would look at UEA if I were you.

Trust me I looked at all local but no one do pgce in business. They do in compulsory subjects such as maths l, science etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicefayle)
    I don't mind either scitt or pgce but hardly any local institutions are offering within my subject area, business studies..That's the main problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind either scitt or pgce but hardly any local institutions are offering within my subject area, business studies..That's the main problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps you could take a subject knowledge enhancement course and train in a different humanities subject? Then you could make it clear in placement and applications that you could also teach business. Once you have QTS you can in theory teach any subject.

For the record I know someone who trained with the OU and is doing just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could take a subject knowledge enhancement course and train in a different humanities subject? Then you could make it clear in placement and applications that you could also teach business. Once you have QTS you can in theory teach any subject.

For the record I know someone who trained with the OU and is doing just fine.

Most subject knowledge course requires their degree to be 50% of knowledge in that area. E.g maths or science or English. Hence I have to start all over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most subject knowledge course requires their degree to be 50% of knowledge in that area. E.g maths or science or English. Hence I have to start all over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That seems strange as you only have to have 50% of your degree in a subject to go straight into a PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    It looks that Way but I know someone who gained pgce from open uni and isn't happy where he is at the moment. Yes, he is in teaching but its not allowing him to progress further. However I know someone else too who did their pgce through Warwick and is now head of faculty within two years of their career. Obviously university matters too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes the University matters but not in the sense that you were thinking of. Many 'lower ranked' universities for traditional undergrad subjects are actually some of the best teacher training providers (including the uni that I attended), so it just takes a bit of research. Although I have no idea how it works at the open university so I can't comment on that

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses (SKEs) are for people who do NOT have 50% of their degree in their preferred teaching subject area.

Anyone who has 50% of their degree in a subject is not going to need subject knowledge enhancement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses (SKEs) are for people who do NOT have 50% of their degree in their preferred teaching subject area.

Anyone who has 50% of their degree in a subject is not going to need subject knowledge enhancement.
    This seems like a long route n more costly! How long does do these courses lasts? I'd rather go in English or maths ske. But then again if I want to teach business, most schools n colleges demand pgce in business as teaching is geared towards business perspective.

I can't find single institution in Suffolk offering pgce in business! How sad is that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a long route n more costly! How long does do these courses lasts? I'd rather go in English or maths ske. But then again if I want to teach business, most schools n colleges demand pgce in business as teaching is geared towards business perspective.

I can't find single institution in Suffolk offering pgce in business! How sad is that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a shame for you yes, though clearly business teachers are not in enough demand to warrant a lot of places offering a business PGCE.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.