Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    It's a shame for you yes, though clearly business teachers are not in enough demand to warrant a lot of places offering a business PGCE.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Uh excuse me? How is it a shame for me? All gcse and a levels teach business as a subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roseaal)
    Uh excuse me? How is it a shame for me? All gcse and a levels teach business as a subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Clearly it's a shame for you in that you are looking for a Business PGCE in Suffolk and there isn't one available. Obviously that's not ideal, so you need to either look further afield or consider training in a different subject if possible, as you seem to be doing. The previous poster was agreeing with you, as you said "How sad is that!" about the lack of places available.

Yes, Business is a popular subject at GCSE and A-Level, but not all schools/colleges offer it. I think A-Level Business is very widespread, but a lot of schools don't offer the GCSE. I know my school didn't...

The other issue is that Business is not taught at KS3, so there's lower demand for teachers than in core subjects.
    Every pupil in the UK does English, Maths and Science up to the age of 16.
    Every pupil in the UK does History, Geography, at least one Modern Foreign Language, and some Technology at least up to the age of 14, in addition to those choosing these subjects for GCSE.
    Business is only taught from the age of 14+, to those students who have chosen it, which is therefore a much smaller number (although it is a popular subject). Hence the lack of PGCE places.

But Business PGCEs are available, just not in your area.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking for a place with Schools Direct? It is similar to a PGCE but it is school-based training rather than university-based.
    It could be that there is a Schools Direct place closer to you?
    It is probably too late to apply for Schools Direct 2013-2014 as most places have probably interviewed already, but it's worth checking. If not then look for next year when they become available.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I simply meant that it is a shame that you can't find a place in your preferred area.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about School Direct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Clearly it's a shame for you in that you are looking for a Business PGCE in Suffolk and there isn't one available. Obviously that's not ideal, so you need to either look further afield or consider training in a different subject if possible, as you seem to be doing. The previous poster was agreeing with you, as you said "How sad is that!" about the lack of places available.

Yes, Business is a popular subject at GCSE and A-Level, but not all schools/colleges offer it. I think A-Level Business is very widespread, but a lot of schools don't offer the GCSE. I know my school didn't...

The other issue is that Business is not taught at KS3, so there's lower demand for teachers than in core subjects.
    Every pupil in the UK does English, Maths and Science up to the age of 16.
    Every pupil in the UK does History, Geography, at least one Modern Foreign Language, and some Technology at least up to the age of 14, in addition to those choosing these subjects for GCSE.
    Business is only taught from the age of 14+, to those students who have chosen it, which is therefore a much smaller number (although it is a popular subject). Hence the lack of PGCE places.

But Business PGCEs are available, just not in your area.
    I am restricted to suffolk due to certain circumstances as I am pregnant and living with my husband. Its very difficult for me to move. Yes, I know what you are saying. I did consider for instance teaching in different subject i.e, maths and also considered SKE. But then again, Most universities look for degrees within mathemathics and I have only done GCSE in Maths not even an A-Level. I dont think it is suitable for me. I dont even think helping students in Kumon for Maths and English will count.

I have also considered doing English and was rather keen on this because I have great interest in creative writing and reading. And I do read a lot here and there. I was rather dissappointed to learn that they dont do SKE for English. Again they look for whether you have higher education in English. And my english is restricted to GCSE level.

Just another point of interest, Is computer science offered at SKE level is different than ICT or is it all the same?

Do you think I should still go for English or Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSRH)
    Have you thought about School Direct?
    Trust me, I am open to all options here. Any route to get in teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I am restricted to suffolk due to certain circumstances as I am pregnant and living with my husband. Its very difficult for me to move. Yes, I know what you are saying. I did consider for instance teaching in different subject i.e, maths and also considered SKE. But then again, Most universities look for degrees within mathemathics and I have only done GCSE in Maths not even an A-Level. I dont think it is suitable for me. I dont even think helping students in Kumon for Maths and English will count.

I have also considered doing English and was rather keen on this because I have great interest in creative writing and reading. And I do read a lot here and there. I was rather dissappointed to learn that they dont do SKE for English. Again they look for whether you have higher education in English. And my english is restricted to GCSE level.

Just another point of interest, Is computer science offered at SKE level is different than ICT or is it all the same?

Do you think I should still go for English or Maths?
    SKE's are generally only offered for in-demand subjects. English is very oversubscribed so there is no need for the government to offer a SKE for it, as it already attracts enough applications.
    From the government website:

"Subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses help you gain the depth of knowledge you'll need to teach your chosen subject.

These courses are aimed at those who have already been offered a place on a postgraduate initial teacher training (ITT) course, subject to completion of an SKE course. ITT providers make the final decision on relevant subject knowledge. If your provider feels that you have the right qualities to become a teacher but you need to up your subject knowledge before you start training, they will talk you through the range of SKE courses that are available.
    What SKE courses are available?

There are currently courses available for the following secondary-phase subjects:

chemistry
    computer science
    design and technology (D&T)
    mathematics
    modern foreign languages (MFL)
    physics"

Obviously, not all of these courses will be offered in your area so you will have to research it.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.