The Student Room Group

Considering Graduate Entry Medicine

Hello all,

I'm currently studying BSc Psychology at Southampton Solent. My Father passed away whilst I was in year 11 so needless to say I didn't put my full heart into my GCSEs. I completed a BTEC ND in Photography at grade distinction, distinction, merit. I didn't want to re sit A levels so applied to universities where I'd be able to do a degree accredited with the British Psychological Society without any prior psychology studies.

Since beginning my course I've found myself more and more interested in human biology (particularly due to learning brief amounts of neuroscience and aetiology of mental disorders). I'm in the process of trying to get work experience working within health services and I have an interview this week for a part time health care assistant role in an NHS hospital.

I've been looking into GEM courses and I'm thinking of going down the UKCAT route as opposed to GAMSAT. Largely because I cannot afford the revision material and test costs. I have emailed numerous universities and they have said my GCSEs and A Levels won't be taken into consideration (excluding those who require certain A Levels such as Chemistry).

Now, my question is whether it would be useful to do AS/A2 in Chem and Bio in order to give myself sufficient grounding for a medicine degree or whether to just apply... or even to look into Access to Medicine courses like the one offered by Sussex Downs College (accepted by Leeds, BSMS and others). Does anyone think it would even be possible to do so whilst studying a degree at the same time?

I would also like any advice on studying a medicine degree with mental health problems. I've suffered from depression and anxiety and been on medication for both. I'm going for a full psychiatric assessment later this month. Part of my depression encompasses compulsive over eating and I am largely overweight. Would any application I put forward be looked down on because of these factors? I am aware you must be pass a health screening and be fit to practise.

Any advice anyone could give me on these subjects would be really appreciated. I have scoured various forums but couldn't find any specific answers relating to these questions. My apologies if they've already been asked.
Reply 1
Original post by kirstieviolet
Hello all,

I'm currently studying BSc Psychology at Southampton Solent. My Father passed away whilst I was in year 11 so needless to say I didn't put my full heart into my GCSEs. I completed a BTEC ND in Photography at grade distinction, distinction, merit. I didn't want to re sit A levels so applied to universities where I'd be able to do a degree accredited with the British Psychological Society without any prior psychology studies.

Since beginning my course I've found myself more and more interested in human biology (particularly due to learning brief amounts of neuroscience and aetiology of mental disorders). I'm in the process of trying to get work experience working within health services and I have an interview this week for a part time health care assistant role in an NHS hospital.

I've been looking into GEM courses and I'm thinking of going down the UKCAT route as opposed to GAMSAT. Largely because I cannot afford the revision material and test costs. I have emailed numerous universities and they have said my GCSEs and A Levels won't be taken into consideration (excluding those who require certain A Levels such as Chemistry).

Now, my question is whether it would be useful to do AS/A2 in Chem and Bio in order to give myself sufficient grounding for a medicine degree or whether to just apply... or even to look into Access to Medicine courses like the one offered by Sussex Downs College (accepted by Leeds, BSMS and others). Does anyone think it would even be possible to do so whilst studying a degree at the same time?

I would also like any advice on studying a medicine degree with mental health problems. I've suffered from depression and anxiety and been on medication for both. I'm going for a full psychiatric assessment later this month. Part of my depression encompasses compulsive over eating and I am largely overweight. Would any application I put forward be looked down on because of these factors? I am aware you must be pass a health screening and be fit to practise.

Any advice anyone could give me on these subjects would be really appreciated. I have scoured various forums but couldn't find any specific answers relating to these questions. My apologies if they've already been asked.

Heya

I would only do biology/chemistry A level if it helps you get into a particular medical course you're set on. Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just apply to the med schools which don't have an A level requirement (e.g. Warwick, Newcastle, etc). Chemistry A level in particular is very irrelevant to what's taught in a medical degree, so you won't really gain much by doing it.

I also wouldn't go down the Access route. You're on course for a good degree, so you're better off applying to graduate entry medicine. Access to medicine courses aren't accepted at all med schools and they definitely aren't accepted by GEPs...and as a graduate you won't be able to get tuition fee loans for those 5 year degrees which do accept them.

Regarding depression and so on, this isn't the sort of thing that you will be looked down on for in the application stage, or at any stage for that matter. You may have to let your med school know before starting the course though, we had a health questionnaire to fill in the summer before starting...

More info about graduate entry medicine here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you ever so much for your reply! You've really helped me to understand things better. :smile:
Reply 3
I actually think you can make your depression work in your favour. When writing your personal statement, make sure you briefly cover that part of your life and most importantly say how you overcame it or how you coped and what you learnt about yourself. Medicine is very demanding physically and mentally and most medical schools want to see how good you are at dealing with and overcoming stressful situations.
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
You can plan to do your UKCAT early so you know where you stand with the different programs. From then you can decide if you need to do AS/A2 level biology and/or chemistry.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies. I've recently been working as a Healthcare Assistant in Ophthalmology at an NHS hospital for 3 months so am feeling optimistic about my chances when applying now! Thank you Tibbycee for your advice in regards to my PS. Thank also Newtothis83, I think I will do just that. I am booked in for a test this year and not applying until 2014 so will see how it goes.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending