Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...if I apply for a MSc/ PgDip whilst only intending to do it to PgDip level, is that generally an ok thing to do?

Can you say thats your intention from the beginning? Do you lose out because you essentially drop out after achieving the PgDip - I mean financially or practically. Is it a 'waste' of money just doing the diploma???

Does anybody else intend only to learn up to pgdip level or is it perhaps just seen to be relegation to a person who intended to succeed in a full masters?

I'm generally curious because I really want to do a postgraduate course, but my experience with doing my BA dissertation was so extraordinarily nervewracking, I don't feel I could do one of those monsters ever again.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the individual university. Sometimes they offer PGDip courses as something you can enrol directly onto - for most of these, they will be the taught Masters units minus the dissertation. Other unis only award PGDips to Masters students who pass the taught elements but fail the dissertation (the case with my current uni) - they aren't courses that you can enrol on to begin with. You just need to shop around a bit to begin with, but they can be available as stand-alones depending on the uni and the course.

One of my friends had a 2:2 and enrolled on a PGDip to begin with. She was advised that if her coursework marks were good, she would be allowed to transfer to the full Masters to complete it with the dissertation. She's now just starting her dissertation, so the system worked well for her. Perhaps you could find a PGDip like that? It could be that with the right type of supervision, a dissertation elsewhere would be less traumatic than at your undergrad uni. You could make the decision on whether to proceed or not, once you'd done some coursework and got a feel for the subject and staff.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know your individual circumstances, but I just make this observation:

Ask yourself *why* you are thinking of doing postgrad. Outside Science/Tech subjects it rarely makes any difference to your job prospects and if you are doing it straight after an u/grad degree, you will still be a fresh graduate with no experience. Postgrad isnt a 'silver bullet' that gets you to the front of the graduate job queue - relevant experience is what does that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.