The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra/Advice

H e l l o ~

I want to study Children Nursing, but unfortunately all my 5 choices were unsuccessful. Now I am able to use UCAS Extra. But all this has gone through my mind and just getting a bit worried since I already am taking a gap year and do NOT want to take another.

~ I had a look at other Universities that do the course, but am worried that I won't be able to provide enough points and there is hardly any lower ones.

~ Some are way too far for me to go. I live in Dudley and most of them are down by London, up Scotland etc. But in a way it shouldn't stop me because I want to study this kind of course?

~ Could I also look at other related courses from my 5 choices and see/ask what they think? Because my statement is more related to nursing.

~ I'm unsure of what other related courses I could do. I've seen Child and Integrated Professional Care etc.

Maybe if I'm this worried, I should wait for clearing? Please help :frown:
Reply 1
"to far away" isn't really an effect on which uni you chose, because you can just get student accommodation with a student loan. try and get into extra and if all that fails then go onto clearing, try to not just wait for anything or you will miss opportunities. How many UCAS points do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by CodeJack
"to far away" isn't really an effect on which uni you chose, because you can just get student accommodation with a student loan. try and get into extra and if all that fails then go onto clearing, try to not just wait for anything or you will miss opportunities. How many UCAS points do you have?

I understand that, but I just preferred to travel from home rather than staying at an accommodation. But that's just be being all 'stay at home' freak haha.

I am looking into extra at the moment. There is adult rather than child nursing etc. But if 'nursing' courses aren't available then what else can I really look at that is related? I've seen Child and Integrated Profession etc. My current points are only 160. But I am also currently resitting which I believe will only get me up to 240 UCAS points. And majority of nurse courses are 260-280 which isn't looking too good for me.
Have you asked any of these Unis *why* you didnt get a place?

Not having any practical experience to show that you are mature enough to do the course, is the most common reason for rejection. Grades are not enough, nor is a PS that says anything like "I've always wanted to help people". You have to be able to prove that you are (to put it bluntly) capable of clearing up other people's vomit and dealing with upset/unreasonable people even when you are knackered.

As an alternative, look at Health Studies courses or anything in Allied Health (dietitian, speech therapy, physio etc etc).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Have you asked any of these Unis *why* you didnt get a place?

Not having any practical experience to show that you are mature enough to do the course, is the most common reason for rejection. Grades are not enough, nor is a PS that says anything like "I've always wanted to help people". You have to be able to prove that you are (to put it bluntly) capable of clearing up other people's vomit and dealing with upset/unreasonable people even when you are knackered.

As an alternative, look at Health Studies courses or anything in Allied Health (dietitian, speech therapy, physio etc etc).

I never asked, but the reasons they put were basically I didn't seem to have enough insight into nursing. Which pretty much summaries what you've said. And I gathered that they would prefer candidates that have experience in this kind of environment/work so they know you are capable.

Relating to your suggestion (Thankyou for that too!) Is there a way where I can study a certain course which would lead me to do nursing in the future?
Original post by MangaDreams
Is there a way where I can study a certain course which would lead me to do nursing in the future?

Suggest you email some Unis (email the Nursing course contact on the website) and ask their advice. They can tell you what 'other' qualifications they accept.
You can also search up foundation year in nursing, healthcare etc if you don't have enough ucas points or experience. When you have done a foundation year to a certain mark then you can progress onto the actual degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MangaDreams
I understand that, but I just preferred to travel from home rather than staying at an accommodation. But that's just be being all 'stay at home' freak haha.

I am looking into extra at the moment. There is adult rather than child nursing etc. But if 'nursing' courses aren't available then what else can I really look at that is related? I've seen Child and Integrated Profession etc. My current points are only 160. But I am also currently resitting which I believe will only get me up to 240 UCAS points. And majority of nurse courses are 260-280 which isn't looking too good for me.

I've firmed an unconditional offer for children and integrated professional care at BCU and i really enjoyed the information given about it at the applicant visit day etc, its a very small class of students about 30ish, and no exams all course work/presentations/assignments etc good luck with what you end up doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending