Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why does it cost to call Nightline? I understand that it's providing a service but for those who'd prefer not to send an email, talking to someone might be an easier choice but every time I think about calling, I remember that it costs and I can't afford it.

The European Commission created dedicated telephone numbers for anyone in any Member State to call if they're in distress and want to speak to someone. There's various different numbers for different needs. Freephone calls can be made to Samaritans from Britain by dialing +116 123.

Why isn't there a similar provision for Nightline?

ReputationRep:
    Nightlines are just student run, they have no such financial provisions unlike Samaritans and each one varies depending on the university that sets it up. Some Nightlines will accept reversed call charges if requested, though it depends on how much funding each one can obtain through fundraising and Student unions. Whilst Samaritans can fundraise a lot through going to companies, many Nightlines prefer a more independant approach to remain autonomous and don't want to have to promote companies (as this would undermine non-judgementality and policies of apoliticality and non-endorsement).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.