Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I got postgraduate offers for University of East Anglia and Warwick for the creative writing course. How do I choose?

UEA is MA Creative Writing Poetry

While the Writing Program at Warwick is slightly different: you choose 5 different modules over two semesters ranging from non-fiction, children's fiction, eco-poetry, music, script etc.

While currently I'm leaning towards poetry writing and would like to specialize, I wouldn't mind trying out prose as well (but I haven't written a lot of prose for a while so I'm slightly less confident). But each module at Warwick is a semester long: so I don't know how sustained the workshop experience will be. I know ultimately it's how much time I dedicate, but the course structure and all will surely make a difference too.

Both have excellent faculty and UEA has prestigious alumni list.

So, I wanted to know other parameters to measure pros and cons:
    - which course is more employable, for e.g., if I wanted to work at a publishing house next, which course should I choose?
    - networks of publishing houses

Would be great if current/ old students and anybody interested could share experiences with with me, pros and cons and help me make a good decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ink S)
    Hey,

I got postgraduate offers for University of East Anglia and Warwick for the creative writing course. How do I choose?

UEA is MA Creative Writing Poetry

While the Writing Program at Warwick is slightly different: you choose 5 different modules over two semesters ranging from non-fiction, children's fiction, eco-poetry, music, script etc.

While currently I'm leaning towards poetry writing and would like to specialize, I wouldn't mind trying out prose as well (but I haven't written a lot of prose for a while so I'm slightly less confident). But each module at Warwick is a semester long: so I don't know how sustained the workshop experience will be. I know ultimately it's how much time I dedicate, but the course structure and all will surely make a difference too.

Both have excellent faculty and UEA has prestigious alumni list.

So, I wanted to know other parameters to measure pros and cons:
    - which course is more employable, for e.g., if I wanted to work at a publishing house next, which course should I choose?
    - networks of publishing houses

Would be great if current/ old students and anybody interested could share experiences with with me, pros and cons and help me make a good decision!

This is a course to become a professional writer, not to work in publishing.

It isn't going to help you indeed it may hinder you with a career in publishing because everything about it says you are only in publishing until you can establish yourself as a writer.

Really UEA should be a no-brainer.

ReputationRep:
    As noted above, CW wont 'get you into publishing'.

A series of internships will be more use to you and a great deal cheaper than doing a Masters course. What employers want is experience and proven practical skills rather than endless bits of paper.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I completely understand, the getting into publishing was an after thought, that is not going to be my primary parameter to choose between Warwick and UEA.

I'll apply for internships and work experience regardless of where I go (and I've already got some), but it would be great if you could tell me other pros and cons that can help me choose.

My problem is, there is plenty reason for both universities, as showcased on respective websites, but since I'm an international student, I can't exactly visit the two places, so most of my research is based on websites and forums.

Really UEA should be a no-brainer.
    please tell me why you think so? it would really help if you could give be specific reasons so I can weigh my pros and cons more substantially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ink S)

please tell me why you think so? it would really help if you could give be specific reasons so I can weigh my pros and cons more substantially.
    This is the pre-eminent creative writing course in the country. As a result it can attract the best teaching staff rather than simply writers wanting pin money. It is very noticeable that UEA stresses the writing achievements of its alumni while Warwick stresses the writing achievements of its faculty.

One factor to bear in mind is that creative writing is UEA's signature course. Creative writing is to UEA what maths is to Cambridge, economics to LSE, meteorology to Reading, sports science to Loughborough. It is the course above all others for which the university is known and will be looked after above all others.That is not true for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    PS. Think carefully about what you think this course will give you. It wont, for instance, make getting a book published any easier. Or even make writing one any easier. At the end of the day, its about your ability, talent and originality - and no University course can actually 'teach' you any of that, whatever they tell you. I used to work in publishing - I've read some of the output of these 'wonder courses', and on that basis, I wouldnt recommend them to anybody, not even the one at UEA.

Have you looked at this as one possible alternative - http://www.faberacademy.co.uk/ (some are run overseas).
    Run by Faber & Faber, these courses are run by well established writers, not academics, and you will come away feeling energised and enthused for writing rather than saddled with debt.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, hmmm.

Thank you guys for the opinions

ReputationRep:
    I know somebody who went to UEA for MA creative writing and she landed a job on television script writing team for along running tv series. She liked the course as it is hands on, competent lecturers and writing work shops taught students various trades craft. The course has good links to various organisations. Apart from tv work, other graduates work in writing, journalism, advertising copywriting and PR. UEA is the better choice.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like resurrecting this thread, because I've got a bit of a dilemma, albeit a far-off one.

After I finish uni, I want to be a journalist. For that, I'm going to have to take a postgraduate NCTJ course, such as the ones at Cardiff and Sheffield.

However, I've been researching the Creative Writing MA at UEA and it just looks perfect, provided I could actually get into the course (which would be difficult, since it's v. competitive). I'm a keen poet and would love to incorporate creative writing as part of my career, such as being a part-time freelance writer.

Would I be able to do the MA and then the NCTJ, or should I just do the NCTJ? I can deal with the extra student debt.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think I found this thread a bit late, but I am just wondering, which of the university did you pick? Because I also have recently applied to UEA also for MA in Poetry and I thought that if you are there, maybe you wont mind giving about the course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.