Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What do you think of girls who take "selfies"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading quite a few feature articles on this recently, and I'm curious to know what people think about girls who take lots of photos of themselves (selfies), and upload them onto social networking sites?

Do you think they come across as self absorbed, or are they simply making use of social networking sites? I'm just curious as I have a lot of girls on my Facebook who take photos of themselves everyday and/or link their instagram in and i'm that it is starting to annoy me! :p: I have nothing against selfies, but some people take so many that it comes across as vain and desperate....

ReputationRep:
    I always think they're fishing for comments from their best friends
    "omg ur so hot xxx"
    "no im not u r xxx"
    Quite annoying tbf

I can't say I've ever deeply thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really bother me. They can do what the hell they want to dom

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only do it when I'm showing off a new dress I got, or did my hair up but generally it pisses me off. I have a girl on fb who does every morning or every time she goes out.... Why do we need to see you pouting like that, again?!

ReputationRep:
    Well it is pretty pathetic, but hey, apparently it provides "relaxation aids" to most.

ReputationRep:
    What I get from it is narcissism and vanity. Especially the ones who have literally thousands and post multiple new ones every day. I understand boredom but come on.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying because they take like 10 photos from the same position pulling a pose. Annoys me to the core.

Name:  36713416.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  45.8 KB
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me. If it annoys someone then just remove her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I've been reading quite a few feature articles on this recently, and I'm curious to know what people think about girls who take lots of photos of themselves (selfies), and upload them onto social networking sites?

Do you think they come across as self absorbed, or are they simply making use of social networking sites? I'm just curious as I have a lot of girls on my Facebook who take photos of themselves everyday and/or link their instagram in and i'm that it is starting to annoy me! :p: I have nothing against selfies, but some people take so many that it comes across as vain and desperate....
    Means they are probably boring they have so much time to do all that bull****, yet I have about twice a week at most to come on TSR for 5 minutes and have a quick rant. It's getting even more seldom, because all the questions here are exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    Self absorbed vain people who really believe they are something special and like to show the world how they look just for the flattery. Boring really, makes you feel a little sorry for them. If they had someone who makes them happy then they wouldn't need to advertise their looks to get a response off random people. Silly really and egotistical.

ReputationRep:
    I avoid these people like the plague so am not really exposed to it.

ReputationRep:
    Social media/network has given people a whole new dimension of alowing narccissism to truly show it's colours.

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl on my friends list who takes photos of herself all the time, and is always sharing old photos that got the best comments as well. She gets literally hundreds of likes, and comments. Is she self absorbed? No. She's possibly the most insecure person I know, and seeing people say she's pretty on Facebook is about the only thing that keeps her optimistic. She's not the kind of person who says "no I'm not pretty" when someone says she is, though.

I will take photos every now and again, but I mean rarely, like if I got a new dress and promised to show a few friends or something. But all my photos are private, so once they've been there and they've been seen, they go to private like all my others.

ReputationRep:
    I have never taken a 'selfie' simply because I'm too self conscious about what people would say. I only ever take pictures if other people are in the frame with me, too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine as long as it's not excessive. Everyone seems to post everything on facebook these days from their food to their outfit, i don't particularly care. It seems to be getting more acceptable to be vain on facebook though, I remember a few years ago it wasn't acceptable as being vain was 'oh so myspace'

ReputationRep:
    I think it's hot, it exudes confidence

ReputationRep:
    it depends how fit they are, if i can rub one out to it then it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I think it's hot, it exudes confidence
    On the contrary, I would argue that it shows insecurity and a lack of self confidence. Alot of people are looking for reassurance about their image and getting 70 likes on a photo is their way of dealing with their insecurity.

(Note: Of course not all people who take 'selfies' are like this but it seems to me that many are.)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone that thinks a girl/guy who takes hundreds of 'selfies' isn't doing it for attention is deluded.

Why else would you take the same shot in your bathroom mirror hundreds of times other than to feed off of the attention you get?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.