Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am a current lower 6th student, and I'm considering applying for a place on a Natural Sciences course at university. I have gotten pretty good grades so far in college, and so am hoping to be able to apply to some excellent universities such as Cambridge, Bristol and Durham.

My problem is that while I am confident I would love doing a degree centered around evolutionary biology and ecology (something which I find very interesting, and am starting to see as my passion), I have heard the career prospects of work in biological research are very limited. Ideally, I would like to do a PhD after finishing my degree, which might help, but I am quite worried about whether I would be able to follow my dream career into wildlife research.

My thinking is that if the career prospects in wildlife research after completing a Nat Sci degree are not good, I would apply to medicine, the other course I am seriously considering and which I've been doing a lot of extra activities towards an application for.

Can anybody give me some more information on the career prospects in wildlife biology, the sort of route I might have to take / extra qualifications I might need to stand a realistic chance of being successfull, and the sort of jobs on offer in this field? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhitman)
    Hi guys,

I am a current lower 6th student, and I'm considering applying for a place on a Natural Sciences course at university. I have gotten pretty good grades so far in college, and so am hoping to be able to apply to some excellent universities such as Cambridge, Bristol and Durham.

My problem is that while I am confident I would love doing a degree centered around evolutionary biology and ecology (something which I find very interesting, and am starting to see as my passion), I have heard the career prospects of work in biological research are very limited. Ideally, I would like to do a PhD after finishing my degree, which might help, but I am quite worried about whether I would be able to follow my dream career into wildlife research.

My thinking is that if the career prospects in wildlife research after completing a Nat Sci degree are not good, I would apply to medicine, the other course I am seriously considering and which I've been doing a lot of extra activities towards an application for.

Can anybody give me some more information on the career prospects in wildlife biology, the sort of route I might have to take / extra qualifications I might need to stand a realistic chance of being successfull, and the sort of jobs on offer in this field? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Go and look at the relevant courses for these universities and somewhere on the page you will find details of where people have gone on to work. There is a survey called Destination of Leavers of Higher Education, and universities now report the details of where the previous year's graduates have gone on to work. That will give you some ideas of what the first job graduates get. After that, well all bets are off really, you are an adult and people go their own way.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.