The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Accommodation 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elitepower
Hey guys, got my accomidation through, not too thrilled about it. Thinking about phoning up the office and seeing what else is available. Has anyone else done this?

Where did you get?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Where did you get?

Well I missed my first choice (Crombie) and got into New Carnegie. I wouldn't mind living there but considering I am no longer in catered which I thought I would be, I will have to rework out all my finances.

I was going to contact them to see if there is any rooms left in Kings. It is basically the same contract as New Carnegie but nearer to the uni and costs £15 less a week. New Carnegie comes with a double bed whereas Kings doesn't but I'm not too bothered about that. I wouldn't mind living in either but considering the price though it might as well be worth checking it out.

I was going to contact them asking about the lenght of the contract anyway. The whole accomidation thing is just knocked all my financial planning out. Before I was planning for catered but now I have to add food costs in plus buy all the cooking equitment.

I was going to phone them tommorow morning but I presume since it is a bank holiday, no-one will be there?

Anyways how about you?
Well I missed my first choice (Crombie) and got into New Carnegie. I wouldn't mind living there but considering I am no longer in catered which I thought I would be, I will have to rework out all my finances.

I was going to contact them to see if there is any rooms left in Kings. It is basically the same contract as New Carnegie but nearer to the uni and costs £15 less a week. New Carnegie comes with a double bed whereas Kings doesn't but I'm not too bothered about that. I wouldn't mind living in either but considering the price though it might as well be worth checking it out.

I was going to contact them asking about the lenght of the contract anyway. The whole accomidation thing is just knocked all my financial planning out. Before I was planning for catered but now I have to add food costs in plus buy all the cooking equitment.

I was going to phone them tommorow morning but I presume since it is a bank holiday, no-one will be there?

Anyways how about you?

Definitely contact them, I had to contact them because originally I had applied for Adam Smith/Wavell because I worried about money issues, however they had no more girls places and so I had to go for South House which cost over £20 more a week, which worried me. In the end I just had to take it though because all that was left was New Carnegie (which I really could not afford). You could always try phoning tomorrow, you never know, but yeh definitely get in touch.
Definitely contact them, I had to contact them because originally I had applied for Adam Smith/Wavell because I worried about money issues, however they had no more girls places and so I had to go for South House which cost over £20 more a week, which worried me. In the end I just had to take it though because all that was left was New Carnegie (which I really could not afford). You could always try phoning tomorrow, you never know, but yeh definitely get in touch.

Thanks. I'm definately going to call them tommorow morning and if there is no reply, tuesday morning.

The only thing that worries me is that they say they hold the accomidation for a week and my week is coming to an end. But I don't want to sign a contract that I am not totally happy with. Plus I'm not sure if the bank holiday will effect it. Kings is my third choice so it might drop to that or somewhere else entirely.

My worry is there will be no rooms I want left and then if I don't sign, I'll just end up in some spare area. You said you contacted them, did you speak to the accomidation office? I've been looking at the website and left a message but can't find many details. Will just have to ring and go from there. Did they sound like they had any rooms left? From your post, the situation looks pretty bleak.

The money thing is really confusing me too, especially with food costs now. Depending on how I work it out, my weekly budget can dramatically alter from impossible to live on or quite good. I am definately going to get a job, I was planning too anyway but now I am unsure if I can live on my loan.

Also I am hoping to get an en-suite which Kings and New Carnegie is. One of the reasons for it is my parents are keen on it and I agree but if I wait, I may just end up anywhere.

Later on, I'm going to write down all the important info to see what I need to tell them and ask. Need to get it sorted as soon as possible.
Remember that tomorrow isn't a bank holiday in Scotland. I'm not completely happy with my offer either, i would have much preferred mixed halls since i seem to get on far better with the opposite sex, but i can't exactly complain about it without sounding like a pervert. And yeah, it's very difficult to justify New Carnegie for how much more it is.

I'm also somewhat confused about their rest of UK accommodation bursary, since i can't find anywhere to apply for it i'm assuming it's something they give you automatically based on data from your student finance application, but how? In one chunk? As a discount of each payment? What?
Thanks. I'm definately going to call them tommorow morning and if there is no reply, tuesday morning.

The only thing that worries me is that they say they hold the accomidation for a week and my week is coming to an end. But I don't want to sign a contract that I am not totally happy with. Plus I'm not sure if the bank holiday will effect it. Kings is my third choice so it might drop to that or somewhere else entirely.

My worry is there will be no rooms I want left and then if I don't sign, I'll just end up in some spare area. You said you contacted them, did you speak to the accomidation office? I've been looking at the website and left a message but can't find many details. Will just have to ring and go from there. Did they sound like they had any rooms left? From your post, the situation looks pretty bleak.

The money thing is really confusing me too, especially with food costs now. Depending on how I work it out, my weekly budget can dramatically alter from impossible to live on or quite good. I am definately going to get a job, I was planning too anyway but now I am unsure if I can live on my loan.

Also I am hoping to get an en-suite which Kings and New Carnegie is. One of the reasons for it is my parents are keen on it and I agree but if I wait, I may just end up anywhere.

Later on, I'm going to write down all the important info to see what I need to tell them and ask. Need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

The way that I contacted them was that a lady called Kerry Fraser from the Accommodation Office e-mailed me to say that I couldn't get Adam Smith/Wavell and that she could offer me South House or New Carnegie, so I just replied to her in an e-mail back. The situation looked bleak for females yes, she said there was absolutely no more female places, so I presume they must have spaces for boys and girls? Seeing as I didn't ask just for single sex. If you wanted I could inbox you her e-mail address and see if you have more luck with that. Yeh, as for loan situation I could not live on my loan even though I am borrowing £4,500 a year, because this would only leave me with like £200 left after accommodation! I have saved up £1000 and my parents obviously have saved up money but I'm going to need a job too, it's annoying though because I work at Pets at Home but can't get a transfer to the store in my uni town because they have no spaces, so I would only be able to work when I am back in my hometown, so it looks like I'm going to have to find a different job :frown:
Original post by MilkTheFrog
Remember that tomorrow isn't a bank holiday in Scotland. I'm not completely happy with my offer either, i would have much preferred mixed halls since i seem to get on far better with the opposite sex, but i can't exactly complain about it without sounding like a pervert. And yeah, it's very difficult to justify New Carnegie for how much more it is.

I'm also somewhat confused about their rest of UK accommodation bursary, since i can't find anywhere to apply for it i'm assuming it's something they give you automatically based on data from your student finance application, but how? In one chunk? As a discount of each payment? What?

Oh so its a normal day there? I totally forgot about the bank holiday until today so I will just phone until I get an answer.

What is the rest of UK accomodation bursary? Is that the money they pay to the accomidation because I have been trying to work that our too.
The way that I contacted them was that a lady called Kerry Fraser from the Accommodation Office e-mailed me to say that I couldn't get Adam Smith/Wavell and that she could offer me South House or New Carnegie, so I just replied to her in an e-mail back. The situation looked bleak for females yes, she said there was absolutely no more female places, so I presume they must have spaces for boys and girls? Seeing as I didn't ask just for single sex. If you wanted I could inbox you her e-mail address and see if you have more luck with that. Yeh, as for loan situation I could not live on my loan even though I am borrowing £4,500 a year, because this would only leave me with like £200 left after accommodation! I have saved up £1000 and my parents obviously have saved up money but I'm going to need a job too, it's annoying though because I work at Pets at Home but can't get a transfer to the store in my uni town because they have no spaces, so I would only be able to work when I am back in my hometown, so it looks like I'm going to have to find a different job :frown:

i'll just phone tommorow and ask for the accomodation office.

Yeah, I was looking for a job in a nationwide chain during the summer hoping to raise some cash before I go and then could transfer when I move but my area has no jobs, I'm hoping to get a job in a chain so I can transfer during the summer instead of applying for different jobs each year.
Oh so its a normal day there? I totally forgot about the bank holiday until today so I will just phone until I get an answer.

What is the rest of UK accomodation bursary? Is that the money they pay to the accomidation because I have been trying to work that our too.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/scholarships-and-funding-292.php

"All new students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland entering in September 2013 are entitled to £2,000 in part payment of their accommodation fees for their first year of study at Aberdeen."

Think i'll drop them an email to ask about it, and to see if there's any possibility of transferring to Wavell. I doubt it, but it doesn't exactly do any harm...
x?

Did you reply? Sorry my quote thing at the side says you have quoted me but when I click on it can't see the comment.
I did, but i think because i'm a new member and the post included a link it has to be approved by a moderator first. Sorry.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/scholarships-and-funding-292.php

"All new students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland entering in September 2013 are entitled to £2,000 in part payment of their accommodation fees for their first year of study at Aberdeen."

Think i'll drop them an email to ask about it, and to see if there's any possibility of transferring to Wavell. I doubt it, but it doesn't exactly do any harm...

Yeah this is exactly what I was wondering about. This would triple my finances basically but how is it paid? Is it the first term or last term or small payments between? I'm going to ask when I ring tommorow.

Yeah there is no harm asking. Which accomidation have you currently got?
Yeah this is exactly what I was wondering about. This would triple my finances basically but how is it paid? Is it the first term or last term or small payments between? I'm going to ask when I ring tommorow.

Yeah there is no harm asking. Which accomidation have you currently got?

I'm in Fyfe House. The building doesn't look too bad, and i prefer self catered anyway, it's just the gender thing. It's weird, compared to every other uni i've looked at or talked to people who went there Aberdeen has like no real mixed halls. Not sure why, all it's going to do is create issues with orientation and gender identity, and it's probably more of a distraction if you have to travel to find the opposite sex.

/rant :colondollar:
I'm in Fyfe House. The building doesn't look too bad, and i prefer self catered anyway, it's just the gender thing. It's weird, compared to every other uni i've looked at or talked to people who went there Aberdeen has like no real mixed halls. Not sure why, all it's going to do is create issues with orientation and gender identity, and it's probably more of a distraction if you have to travel to find the opposite sex.

/rant :colondollar:

Yeah I know what you mean. I think thats why at the time of applying for accomodation, I put New Carnegie above Kings as it was mixed sex and I didnt want a lack of friends from one sex.

But now that I think about it, I'd rather have the money and make friends in other flats.

Oh I found a link about the scholarship - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/scholarships-and-funding-292.php - that says it will be credited to your account. I dont know whether that means bank account or more likely accomodation account (seems more wise to pay it off directly than give people 2k and hope they remember what to use it on) and it doesn't say when.
If it helps anyone, this is the response i got when inquiring about the RUK bursary:

With regards to the accommodation bursary, £2000 will be credited to your account during the Winter Term and will be used to pay part of your accommodation fees.
x

If it x :

Got the phone number and send a few e-mails. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon or i'll phone at 4.

So you get the money at the start? That is a relieve I suppose.
Got throught, no spaces just had to take my place at New Carnegie :/ . I'm sure it will be fine when I get their but just have worked it out it is another £800 for basically the same room. Could have used that especially with food bills I have to add. It'll be fine.

Got the same response about the busary.

Quick Reply

Latest