Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!

After I received my exam results in January (ABBU) I was called in for a meeting by my FE College, and told I was very close to being kicked out and am now on close watch (where if I do anything else wrong I will be kicked out) based on an examiners comment on one of my exams.

My issue here is I was sitting my exam (the one I achieved a U in) and pretty much lost the will to live when I realised I was going to achieve nowhere near my target grade, so I gave up in the middle of the exam and doodled in the corner.

My question here is because my teacher told me that the college is not allowed to request my exam paper back and see the examiner comments without my permission.

Are they allowed to do this without my permission? My teacher says they are most definitely not allowed and I couldn't find any information on this on the AQA website.

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akanai)
    Hey TSR!

After I received my exam results in January (ABBU) I was called in for a meeting by my FE College, and told I was very close to being kicked out and am now on close watch (where if I do anything else wrong I will be kicked out) based on an examiners comment on one of my exams.

My issue here is I was sitting my exam (the one I achieved a U in) and pretty much lost the will to live when I realised I was going to achieve nowhere near my target grade, so I gave up in the middle of the exam and doodled in the corner.

My question here is because my teacher told me that the college is not allowed to request my exam paper back and see the examiner comments without my permission.

Are they allowed to do this without my permission? My teacher says they are most definitely not allowed and I couldn't find any information on this on the AQA website.
    If you wrote or drew anything obscene then the exam board would have sent it back to your school unmarked just before the results came out for the school to take disciplinary action. If it wasn't sent back at that point then it wasn't considered offensive and the examiner will have ignored it.

I'm not quite sure what you are worried about - why would the school want to pay to get it back now and why would you care?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't obscene, it was a picture of a fish, and I'm worried because as far as I'm aware they are not allowed to do this and I am very upset to have disciplinary action taken against me (which can impact my ability to take June exams, if it does end up happening) based on something they have done which is not allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akanai)
    It wasn't obscene, it was a picture of a fish, and I'm worried because as far as I'm aware they are not allowed to do this and I am very upset to have disciplinary action taken against me (which can impact my ability to take June exams, if it does end up happening) based on something they have done which is not allowed.
    Are you saying that they have already got the paper back as they ordered it after the results came out? If so, it is probably because they were surprised at your low mark and wanted to see if it was worth a re-mark - hard to criticise them for that. While some exam boards require the centre to get permission from a candidate others don't and the whole thing is a bit of a grey area - it is the school, not you, who has a contract with the exam board.

If you have genuinely only drawn a fish, then really don't see the centre stopping you taking June exams.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you for your comments The college has told me today that in fact they had lied to me (always a great thing to hear from your college) and that they were just going off of rumours they had heard from fellow students, I am not sure whether to be happy with this or not but thank you for your answer nonetheless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.