Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZnF...e_gdata_player

Found this to be really emotional. As I, myself, know people that have been effected by not having an engaged father. Many of them are drug addicts, school drop-outs, and even a few have committed suicide.

Can any other TSR members relate to this?

http://www.theperfectfather.org/what-people-are-saying/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess the one advantage is that it teaches you quicker to be on your own.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered from quite a severe mental breakdown when I was about 17/18/19/20 (It took a hell of a long time before I felt I had truly recovered) My dad was abusive and neglectful, lost contact with him when I was 10, I was also bullied at school from 6-16 years old, it never let up, and it was from many different people. I'd love to know what I'd have been like if my dad had actually cared, but I'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    I suffered from quite a severe mental breakdown when I was about 17/18/19/20 (It took a hell of a long time before I felt I had truly recovered) My dad was abusive and neglectful, lost contact with him when I was 10, I was also bullied at school from 6-16 years old, it never let up, and it was from many different people. I'd love to know what I'd have been like if my dad had actually cared, but I'll never know.
    That's sad to hear, but great to know that you have fully recovered!

What's the one thing you would say to him if he was here today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    That's sad to hear, but great to know that you have fully recovered!

What's the one thing you would say to him if he was here today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest, I'd give him a chance to get to know me again, but I'd try to approach him like I would a stranger, as most of my memories of him are traumatic so I would have to treat him as though he were a different person, Which he could well be, it's been 12 years since I last saw him. I know I have at least 3 half siblings, and I'd like to know that those kids are OK too, if they weren't I think I now have the confidence to intervene if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    To be honest, I'd give him a chance to get to know me again, but I'd try to approach him like I would a stranger, as most of my memories of him are traumatic so I would have to treat him as though he were a different person, Which he could well be, it's been 12 years since I last saw him. I know I have at least 3 half siblings, and I'd like to know that those kids are OK too, if they weren't I think I now have the confidence to intervene if necessary.
    Maybe this could be the start of something beautiful - not trying to impose anything here. But what if you try and get to know your father again for the sake of your siblings?

I salute you coming out like this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't accessed the links in your clip but I didn't have a good father figure growing up. He was around, but he wasn't a good father figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I haven't accessed the links in your clip but I didn't have a good father figure growing up. He was around, but he wasn't a good father figure.
    If you have about 15 minutes to spare, then I ask you to watch the clip. It may be that his father wasn't a good father-figure? I'm not trying to imply anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    If you have about 15 minutes to spare, then I ask you to watch the clip. It may be that his father wasn't a good father-figure? I'm not trying to imply anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, kind of.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.