Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im 29 years of age, and I live in Scotland at the moment.

I will be starting at Durham University after summer taking a Law degree but with a foundation year. This means I will have 4 years of unoversity ahead.

I am really comitted to becoming a Lawyer, and was looking for some advice. I wont be able to apply for vacation schemes for a few years, but would it be wise to try and spend some time with Local solicitors in Scotland if they will take me? I am also friends with someone whose father is an Advocate, and I am going to spend some days shadowing him.

When I move to Durham Ill be trying to get what I can, but is there any advice that anyone has for someone in my situation. SHould I try to get some work experience even if it is casual to help my application when i get to the stage of applying for the vacation schemes and traineeships? And if I am keen and write to some firms do you think there is any chance Ill get some time doing that? Im looking to be as proactive as possible really.

Cheers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hegelian)
    Im 29 years of age, and I live in Scotland at the moment.

I will be starting at Durham University after summer taking a Law degree but with a foundation year. This means I will have 4 years of unoversity ahead.

I am really comitted to becoming a Lawyer, and was looking for some advice. I wont be able to apply for vacation schemes for a few years, but would it be wise to try and spend some time with Local solicitors in Scotland if they will take me? I am also friends with someone whose father is an Advocate, and I am going to spend some days shadowing him.

When I move to Durham Ill be trying to get what I can, but is there any advice that anyone has for someone in my situation. SHould I try to get some work experience even if it is casual to help my application when i get to the stage of applying for the vacation schemes and traineeships? And if I am keen and write to some firms do you think there is any chance Ill get some time doing that? Im looking to be as proactive as possible really.

Cheers.
    Work experience is never going to look bad so yeah keep trying to get as much as possible, personally I found ringing up sometimes yielded results more than writing, though generally be prepared for more knock backs than acceptances if it's just speculative, there is usually little benefit to a firm in taking a WE student.

Once you're at uni I'd recommend trying to get involved in as much extracurricular as possible, it always seemed to stand out to me that people at interviews or who I know have TCs have something that makes you go 'Oh wow, that is impressive/different'. Saying that, you may not need this so much if you already have a relevant previous career, all the people I'm talking had never been out of full time education so far as I could tell/know.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.