Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

why has my skin got worse since i started eating healthier? and is 1200 calories ok? watch

ReputationRep:
    i had a few spots when i was a teenager but since about 17 they've calmed down and ever since then i've had fairly good skin - it's very clear, i don't wear any make up on my face apart from occasional powder, etc. i'm 23 now.

i have always eaten a lotttt of chocolate, sweets, mr kiplings cake-y things, pizza hut takeaways and so on (general rubbish) and haven't really noticed any repurcussions over the years, but recently i noticed i'd gained a bit of weight which i guess is just a result of getting older and not being able to get away with it anymore, haha.

i've always been fairly slim (i'm a 5 ft 5 girl and had gone up to 8 stone 6 whereas my 'normal' or comfortable weight is just on or just under 8 stone) and wasn't too happy with my extra tummy fat so decided to completely get rid of all my unhealthy snacks and try to be a bit kinder to my body.

since then, my average daily food is porridge for breakfast, wholemeal pitta bread and humous for lunch, wholemeal pasta with low fat tomato sauce for dinner, and then an apple and a yoghurt when i want to snack or a large caramel snack-a-jack if i need a sweet kick. i'm averaging about 1200 calories per day and i don't feel hungry or as if i need more.

but rambling aside, my questions are these: 1) why has my skin got worse since i started eating more healthily? i've gone from getting a spot once every 6 months to getting one or two a week. they take ages to go, too, it feels like as soon as one goes, another two appear! baffled as to why this has happened, could there be a link?

2) is 1200 calories a day enough for a 5ft 5 woman? my mum is a bit worried and said it doesn't seem like enough for me but like i said before, i don't feel as if i am still hungry - but just in general, is this okay? i don't want to do myself more harm than good.

thanks

You may be getting more spots for a huge variety of reasons, from hormone changes to changes in diet to changes in skin products. Make sure you drink enough but it doesn't actually sound like you have a very big spot problem anyway.
    And well I'd say that you should probably be aiming to eat more than you are, as on average a woman is recommended 1800-2000 calories a day. This is an average, so it is different for everyone, but you have to consider the fact that your body needs a certain amount of energy intake a day just to function properly. Depending on how active you are this amount varies, but it is worth looking up your Basal metabolic rate as a guide. From experience I know that you can feel perfectly healthy eating less than others, and your body gets used to eating that amount, however it is important to make sure it doesn't become unhealthy, as eating less can cause health problems down the line.

I'd advise you to make an appointment with your gp if you can, they're far more qualified to discuss nutrition. It may just be worth checking with them about your diet, as while you currently have a normal (if slightly lower than average) BMI it would be good to check you're getting enough nutrition to sustain your current weight.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because you're starving yourself

ReputationRep:
    Your diet looks very high in carbs. It may be inducing an increase in insulin.

Could be linked to cortisol levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You may be getting more spots for a huge variety of reasons, from hormone changes to changes in diet to changes in skin products. Make sure you drink enough but it doesn't actually sound like you have a very big spot problem anyway.
    And well I'd say that you should probably be aiming to eat more than you are, as on average a woman is recommended 1800-2000 calories a day. This is an average, so it is different for everyone, but you have to consider the fact that your body needs a certain amount of energy intake a day just to function properly. Depending on how active you are this amount varies, but it is worth looking up your Basal metabolic rate as a guide. From experience I know that you can feel perfectly healthy eating less than others, and your body gets used to eating that amount, however it is important to make sure it doesn't become unhealthy, as eating less can cause health problems down the line.

I'd advise you to make an appointment with your gp if you can, they're far more qualified to discuss nutrition. It may just be worth checking with them about your diet, as while you currently have a normal (if slightly lower than average) BMI it would be good to check you're getting enough nutrition to sustain your current weight.

(Original post by Daniel_R)
    Probably because you're starving yourself

(Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Your diet looks very high in carbs. It may be inducing an increase in insulin.

Could be linked to cortisol levels?
    thanks so much for your replies. i don't feel like i am starving myself but that's why i wanted to ask, really, to see what you guys thought about it in general. i do think that i eat a lot of carbs so that might be something to do with it, i will have a look into it! i haven't heard of a basal metabolic rate or cortisol levels so will go and have a look now - thankyou i need to go to the docs for something unrelated anyway next week so think i will ask then and see what they say!

ReputationRep:
    I only had time to read your post quickly but you really need more protein, especially if you're exercising - should be eating a couple of portions every meal

ReputationRep:
    Or your body is just getting rid of the toxins, hence the spots!
    Up your calories a bit to 1300-1400, wait for a bit eg a month or two and see - if you still get the spots. If so - maybe ask your GP

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.