Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So its pretty much in the title. I was wondering how I would go about this though. I am not on a course, as they don't have any vet assistant courses anywhere near where I live and I am not looking to move just yet. However, I love animals and would really like the experience too.

It is a private vet, Darley House in Farnworth, Bolton. I don't know if anyone has heard of it here. I take my pets there now, as the RSPCA is too far away to keep travelling. The RSPCA bases near us have no voluntary placements available. Its what I really want to do, but all I have is some A-levels including Biology and Psychology and a few AS in scattered subjects. I did do two years at uni studying Biology BSc, but had to leave due to sickness.

As far as I know, they don't have many employees and I get on great with the vets/staff. They know us well after all the pets we have brought in with one ailment or another.

I believe this is my calling. As a child I wanted to be a vet, but I got B's and C's in GCSE and couldn't even pass my degree so I think that is beyond my capabilities. I had a lot going on back then, but even so life never slows down so there will always be something happening. Eventually I would like to take one of the courses in Vet nursing, I think the nearest is Nottingham (My husband was from there).

So how would I go about this, if this is even possible?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'd suggest going in and arranging a time to talk to someone there about volunteering. Explain what you hope to do (vet nursing possibly in their speciality?) and most importantly be passionate.

ReputationRep:
    Id go in and speak to them (or write a letter). Tell them about your ambitions etc, and see if they would take you on.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing you can do is phone up, most vets would then say send us a cv and a covering letter with some dates and stuff that you can do and what sort of thing your looking to get out of any work experience/volunteering. Some vets don't actually allow volunteers and stuff because of insurance reasons but just giving them a phone wouldn't hurt. Also a lot of vets have a large waiting list as theres lots of people (like me) who also need work experience to get into uni and vet students also need to do experience during uni.

Also some vet practices can also train you to become a vet nurse. Heres a link on becoming a vet nurse as theres the vocational and educational way to getting there https://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-...erinary-nurse/

But as I said just give them a ring the worst thing they can say is no

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.