Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Letting home issue decide uni choice? Watch

Basically, I'm torn between 2 unis, A and B. A is about an hour and a half away on the train, the other is about 4 hours. A is the uni I originally wanted to go due to location and study abroad but after visiting applicant days and researching, B is a better choice in terms of course, career etc.
    I am an only child, and I live with my mum. I get the feeling she wants me to go to A simply because it is nearer and I can return every weekend or every other weekend. If I chose uni B, coming home even every other weekend would be difficult due to cost etc. and I would feel bad that I would be leaving my mum on her own, due to a lack of siblings she would probably go insane (not actually but just get a bit sad I guess). Am I being reasonable that I should take this into account? Because its one of the reasons A seems appealing, but not taking distance into account would make the choice between A and B a bit easier to make.
    Any opinions?

It can be a factor in your decision, just don't let your concerns for your mum decide your university. From experience when you go away to university you don't have as much time to visit home as you may have thought before anyway, and I've found that my parents are quite happy to hear from me a few times a week on the phone as they are if I actually come down and visit.

Remember you are the one going to university, one day you will start your career and probably leave home for good, so make sure you set yourself on a path to get to the career you want. I'm sure your mum will be very proud of you wherever you go, so let it be a decision for you primarily.

If there are other factors involved in not wanting to leave your mum alone, of course they are important to consider, but from what you've said so far, I'd say make sure you go where you want to go and will achieve what you want to achieve rather than worry about how far you are from home as your first consideration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.